UM Loses More Enrollment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UM Loses More Enrollment

LOL, EVERYTHING LIBERALS TOUCH TURNS TO SHIT!

https://missoulian.com/news/local/un...0a742.amp.html

A 1% bump in retention is something to build on? Only at UM..

Cole, though, said UM is focusing its efforts on digital outreach to speak directly to students.

"Students that are between the ages of 14, 17 and 18 live on their screens," Cole said. "They live in the digital sphere. So we're really engaging them there. We're using all of the digital technology that we have at our fingertips."

WRONG. That's the same failed strategy Crady used.

Kids are on their phones and computers all the time...Well no shit, we all are.The problem is there are a billion more interesting things to do with the internet than engage with UM's lame content. You have to put something in peoples hands. Also, if you aren't savvy (UM isn't) you can waste a shit ton of money trying to reach those students online. If Cole calls the internet the "digital sphere", I guarantee you she is blowin through cash.

Also, that Dave Dickenson promo is pathetic. Sounds like he can't wait to get back to Calgary.

Comment

I don't think Rome was built in a day, and it wasn't destroyed in a day either. The problems are sclerotic and some of them are legitimately issues that will take years to fix. Would not have surprised me at all, and still wouldn't, the basement of this decline is somewhere under 10,000 students. The UM at this point should be a smaller campus than MSU, and focus on what it does do well. I think it is hubris honestly to believe 16,000 students are any where near future.

Few reasons why:
      1. The programs where the most significant losses are occurring are poorly positioned to have significant rebounds. I love humanities, and I think they are important additions to colleges, but it is hard to sell English, foreign languages, Psychology, History and so forth these days. Moreover, where those programs would see rebounds or at least curbing of losses, in on-line and distance education programs, the UM has been notoriously slow in.

2. The cost doesn't play anymore regionally. Used to. If you are an out of state student, attending the UM on a non-academic scholarship you are asking 25,000 dollars a year in tuition and board. UM used to be regionally competitive fees wise and just isn't anymore. Scenery and football games only matter to so many. Maybe it is right that states pick up less of the bill, fewer are, and pass it on to students. The fact is, whether you are an in state or out of state, spending 12 to 25 thousand a year for a fourth tier school seems slightly expensive. The earning power doesn't match. College has inflated more in cost, way more, than salaries over the past 15-20 years. UM is roughly 300 percent more expensive for an in-state kid than it was twenty years ago per semester. Base wages for teachers are better in Montana, but they aren't even twice what they were 20 years ago in most spots. Very few fields would have ever met that type of inflationary increase in school. Kids are saddled with enormous amounts of school debt and they choose programs that don't pay for shit when they graduate. These are the considerations kids make now. I could work to pay for school during the summer that isn't even possible anymore.

---
      As I see it,

1. Embrace what do you well. Quality over quantity. I greatly value my education that I received there. The science fields are regionally and nationally recognized. Their earth and space science programs are incredible. The experience and the location do matter. Just matters to fewer students than it used to. Accept that 11,000 to 13,000 is an ideal size to provide an education that might rival comparative schools. The educational programs are vastly better than its fourth tier status and it is the peripheral issues that drop its credibility.

2. Admit fewer, keep more. Freshmen retention has long been an issue, and when you admit north of 90% of those who apply, the drop out rate is going to be higher. You keep more by providing resources and services that keep kids in the school. Keep costs down, make it easier to get classes, provide easier paths to degrees. Those numbers will creep up, because you are doing a better job at providing a product that students are happy with.

Just my two cents..

Comment

UM has become "Berkeley North"! I walk on campus several times a week, and frequently go into the buildings on campus. There are lib-assed signs and posters everywhere. In the L.A. Building resides the Women's Studies Department. Their bulletin board is filled with man-hating propaganda, a brand new 4-year degree titled "Women's Feminism & Sexuality Studies". Seriously??? One of their courses is entitled "Feminism Among Artists". So, chicks are going to go $100,000 of depth to get a degree in that subject? What possible job opportunities could be available for a grad with that degree? Until UM figures out that Montana is a conservative state, and starts offering degrees which may lead to employment, they will continue to lose enrollment.

Oh, i was walking on campus two days ago, and saw a fat ugly chick wearing a T-shirt which said "The future is female". Really? What a sexist shirt. Can you imagine if any guy wore a shirt saying "The future is male"??? It would be instantly on MSNBC as yet another example of misogyny.
        Last edited by growler; 09-14-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
          UM has become "Berkeley North"! I walk on campus several times a week, and frequently go into the buildings on campus. There are lib-assed signs and posters everywhere. In the L.A. Building resides the Women's Studies Department. Their bulletin board is filled with man-hating propaganda, a brand new 4-year degree titled "Women's Feminism & Sexuality Studies".Seriously??? One of their courses is entitled "Feminism Among Artists". So, chicks are going to go $100,000 of depth to get a degree in that subject? What possible job opportunities could be available for a grad with that degree? Until UM figures out that Montana is a conservative state, and starts offering degrees which may lead to employment, they will continue to lose enrollment.

Oh, i was walking on campus two days ago, and saw a fat ugly chick wearing a T-shirt which said "The future is female". Really? What a sexist shirt. Can you imagine if any guy wore a shirt saying "The future is male"??? It would be instantly on MSNBC as yet another example of misogyny.
          I'm surprised UM hasn't promoted this in conjunction with their pow-wow commercials. You'd assume we are leading the world in Native American Studies or something. Nah UM just wants to promote the most PC friendly brand possible to appease the loud minority. In reality, its racist unless you are actually excelling in NAS and/or creating substantial improvements to Tribal communities. UM does not. But boy do those Native Americans dancing in the oval sure promote their phony brand.

Scroll towards the bottom of the page and click on the link under What can I do with a major in NAS? http://hs.umt.edu/nas/academics/default.php

Oops,
          File Not Found
          The requested page doesn't exist. Let's try a search.

Comment

Working...
          X