When do the mistakes go away?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do the mistakes go away?

No matter who you are you have to admit that today our team had more mistakes than I can ever remember a Griz team having. Coach Stitt never had a game with this many mental lapses. Odd part is it wasn't just one squad, special teams stunk it up, penalties on offense and defense that just cannot happen against a good opponent.

My question for you is how long does Bobby get a pass for having dozens of mistakes a game? The last few years posters have frequently commented about this and then tried to sell people that Coach Hauck would fix all of this. Its got worse in my opinion.

I think you get what you get when you have staff turnover, player departures and scheme changes. Some of it is you get what you wish for and the other part is part of the process. There has only been one coaching change really that was seamless since 96 and that was Dennehey. Glenn, Hauck, Pflugrad, Delaney and Stitt all had struggles of one type or another that first year. Bobby's past record will buy him time. Stitt got a year before the wolves descended upon the camp.

Offensively it stands to reason. New QB, RB, and a whole new (essentially) OL. If I were allowed to make some assumptions, but this isn't at all the direction the offensive staff or Bobby likely thought it would go. They have great coaches, I think you have to trust they are going to keep working to get the best out of the line play eventually. This was always going to be an issue this year, even if we had kept Stitt. I don't think they would have suspected that after game two you would have had two walk on's, a converted DL, and true freshman getting key minutes two games into the season. You lost Scott (my guess is permanently) and Jackson leaving didn't help either.

The offense will continue to be a work in progress and your guess is as good as mine what the finished product looks like. If I were to levy a hypothesis, the more and more this offense becomes more and more like the offense we saw the past three years. Helps the OL more, allows them to grow, keeps them out of dedicated pass pro where teams can pin their ears back and come at the QB. Sneed has performed admirably, but he has a reason to be skittish. The coaches will get it right, but it isn't going to be pretty occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
      I think you get what you get when you have staff turnover, player departures and scheme changes. Some of it is you get what you wish for and the other part is part of the process. There has only been one coaching change really that was seamless since 96 and that was Dennehey. Glenn, Hauck, Pflugrad, Delaney and Stitt all had struggles of one type or another that first year. Bobby's past record will buy him time. Stitt got a year before the wolves descended upon the camp.

Offensively it stands to reason. New QB, RB, and a whole new (essentially) OL. If I were allowed to make some assumptions, but this isn't at all the direction the offensive staff or Bobby likely thought it would go. They have great coaches, I think you have to trust they are going to keep working to get the best out of the line play eventually. This was always going to be an issue this year, even if we had kept Stitt. I don't think they would have suspected that after game two you would have had two walk on's, a converted DL, and true freshman getting key minutes two games into the season. You lost Scott (my guess is permanently) and Jackson leaving didn't help either.

The offense will continue to be a work in progress and your guess is as good as mine what the finished product looks like. If I were to levy a hypothesis, the more and more this offense becomes more and more like the offense we saw the past three years. Helps the OL more, allows them to grow, keeps them out of dedicated pass pro where teams can pin their ears back and come at the QB. Sneed has performed admirably, but he has a reason to be skittish. The coaches will get it right, but it isn't going to be pretty occasionally.

I agree with your assessment. Also, lots of young players.

Comment

I hope we can show better on the road this year. Last few years have been rough.

Comment

These are games that BSB would have lost. Be happy....

Comment

Ironically winning an early game against the MVFC was the only games Bob won with any consistency. He beat NDSU at home and then beat UNI. It was the conference road games he sucked at. Cal Poly, Eastern, MSU, NCU, WSU, PSU and the list goes on.

Admittedly that is a pretty semantic argument, but UM out of conference over the years hasn't traveled and played well, including the playoffs. That includes all the way back to the Read years. Bobby historically didn't play very many non-conference road games. They preferred the home gate during his era, and didn't play many on the road that were FCS schools. Really I could only find Maine, Cal-Poly, Cal Davis, and Sam Houston in his tenure. There might have been more, but he didn't play many.

Not to forget the Dennehy and Glenn years where our seasons ended in Lake Charles and Maccomb and typically in excruciating fashion.

So lets just say there is a historical need to perform better on the road.

Comment

Working...
            X