Portland State Debacle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland State Debacle

Just left the game, cant watch this shit anymore. Great special teams improvement this year!

This is the worst team that has ever come inside WGS and they are kicking our ass. This team isnt going anywhere and Hauck isnt gonna get it turned around in less than 3 years if he ever does. He doesnt build programs he maintains them.

Also Robbie isnt a D1 football player, hes to small, to slow and not strong enough.

Yeah that was a train wreck of monumental proportions.

The fumbling is one thing, the coaching decisions are another. This continues a long series of awful homecoming performances. Absolutely brutal loss. Like every team the UM has fielded since 2010, there is one loss a year that defies logic and any sort of rational explanation.

We aren't that good and the margins are pretty small.

There is a lot to bitch about for sure. From a coaches perspective a few decisions were debatable at the least. Bobby wore responsibility for that game, so it is a matter of how they respond from here I guess.

A few comments

1. It was obvious on that 2pt conversion the initial alignment didn't confuse anyone. Sometimes you get locked into an idea, and it becomes nearly impossible to stop yourself. i think of that PSU zone read call against OSU as well. I think you need a better play call in that situation, where you don't have the kicker running fly sweep. I was absolutely stunned they snapped it. In a game of pretty small margins, that seems to loom pretty large. Easy to criticize for sure, and I don't wear the headsets.

2. I would be interested to see what the rationale was for calling the timeout at the end of the game. PSU was given an extra play that incidentally worked out really well in our favor, but it did allow PSU to bring that ball back inside the hash a bit. To that end, I really don't understand the clock management by the officials at the end of the game. That was a really weird set of events.

3. The defense is fine. They gave up zero points on possessions that didn't start with a turnover. PSU scored 19 points on shorter fields. You always talk about handling the quick change well, and you don't like giving up points after turnovers, and to be honest it is the only criticism you could levy on the defense yesterday. As I noted earlier in the week, the defense can be had with some intermediate range passes, and PSU got their TE involved early.

4. All the variance in the offense that I extolled last week disappeared. A lot of that was under the pile of fumbles they had, but they absolutely struggled on first down. In the second half there was a bit more stretching the defense horizontally, but between drops, missed blocks and bad throws there was absolutely no offensive continuity to speak of. When you face an odd defense, like you face odd offenses, it is so hard not to get hyper sensitive and focused on minutia. Give credit to PSU for causing problems, because that first half of offensive football was as putrid as I have seen in a while out of a UM team.

--
    Was a poor performance, no doubt. This has been the habit for the past few years. Win a game that you had struggled winning, and drop a game you shouldn't. Two losses inside the last five minutes of the game with costly mental and physical mistakes.

I think Bobby is a good enough coach to make a positive move forward. You just hate losing games that you played as much role in losing as the opposition did. Those ones hurt.

Comment

What happened yesterday sometimes happens in athletic competition....you lose to an opponent you shouldn’t and conversely, you win against an opponent you shouldn’t beat. I’ve seen it happen many times in an individual sport and it is difficult for anyone to explain.
      Bobby is one of the finest coaches in the land and he will bring his team back to a higher level of winning once again.

Comment

Think what you want about Hauck but the bottom line is players need to execute and make plays. its not like Hauck is out there telling them to drop balls or fumble or miss tackles. Those kind of excuses are for people that know jack shit about football.

Players are supposed to make plays, execution is 98% on the players not the coaching staff. Good teams have players that make plays and don't make excuses, bad teams don't. We currently do not have the players to make plays.

Defense has Olson (slightly overrated right now but should grow into a great player) Buss, Sims, and Calhoun on defense thats it....the rest just fill positions until new recruits take their place.
        Offense we have Sneed, JLM, Bingham, Sulser and Eastwood. Akem and Toure could be on this list but they are soft as fuck and and are not consistent enough. The rest of the players are just filling positions until new recruits take over.

Other people can talk until they are blue in the face about the talent level on this team but they are 100% wrong and being delusional fans. We have never had such a low talent level at UM in my lifetime. 10 years ago we had 8 or 9 players on each side of the ball that would start on any other team in the BSC now we have 3 or 4 total. Thats a fact and none of our trench guys would play anywhere else except maybe Sims.

This wasnt on the coaches the players just didnt execute plays and they havent for a very long time over 4 coaches tenures.

Keep making excuses and I will keep pointing them out.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
          Think what you want about Hauck but the bottom line is players need to execute and make plays. its not like Hauck is out there telling them to drop balls or fumble or miss tackles. Those kind of excuses are for people that know jack shit about football.

Players are supposed to make plays, execution is 98% on the players not the coaching staff. Good teams have players that make plays and don't make excuses, bad teams don't. We currently do not have the players to make plays.

Defense has Olson (slightly overrated right now but should grow into a great player) Buss, Sims, and Calhoun on defense thats it....the rest just fill positions until new recruits take their place.
          Offense we have Sneed, JLM, Bingham, Sulser and Eastwood. Akem and Toure could be on this list but they are soft as fuck and and are not consistent enough. The rest of the players are just filling positions until new recruits take over.

Other people can talk until they are blue in the face about the talent level on this team but they are 100% wrong and being delusional fans. We have never had such a low talent level at UM in my lifetime. 10 years ago we had 8 or 9 players on each side of the ball that would start on any other team in the BSC now we have 3 or 4 total. Thats a fact and none of our trench guys would play anywhere else except maybe Sims.

This wasnt on the coaches the players just didnt execute plays and they havent for a very long time over 4 coaches tenures.

Keep making excuses and I will keep pointing them out.
          Nobody questions the fact the players shit in their nest on Saturday. We were a 26-point favorite in that game, but the players pissed that advantage away with the things you described. Still, we could have won that game if the coaches hadn't screwed the pooch in the last couple of minutes, just like they did against WIU. There will always be close games which come down to the final couple of minutes, and it is these close games which separate the great coaches from the average ones. It comes down to time management, critical play calls, field position management, and other considerations. When a team has the lead with two minutes to play, the clock becomes their opponent instead of the opposing team. In both losses, our coaching staff did a shitty job during the last couple minutes, and it cost them the game.

Yes, I understand that Curran's fumble was not the fault of the coaches. But, why does he even have the opportunity to fumble??? He should not have been in the game during that drive because he has a history of drops and fumbles. Akem and Toure are not soft. Where do you get that stuff?
          Last edited by growler; 10-07-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I’ve been quiet this season for other reasons but I kinda agree with AG1 on the talent level of this Griz team. I also agree with Growler on the coaching SNAFUs. But I do feel strongly that BH is a huge upgrade over Delaney and Stitt. This Griz team should end up with three losses IMO which would be a significant improvement over recent years. Hauck should get his type of players over the next few years. We’ll just have to see. But Delaney and Stitt were dogs. At least those horiffic years are over. Thank God!

Comment

Originally posted by CV Griz Fan View Post
              I’ve been quiet this season for other reasons but I kinda agree with AG1 on the talent level of this Griz team. I also agree with Growler on the coaching SNAFUs. But I do feel strongly that BH is a huge upgrade over Delaney and Stitt. This Griz team should end up with three losses IMO which would be a significant improvement over recent years. Hauck should get his type of players over the next few years. We’ll just have to see. But Delaney and Stitt were dogs. At least those horiffic years are over. Thank God!
              Oh, I am not down on Hauck, and agree that he will recruit the players to get us back to dominance. But, I also call a spade a spade about the coaching gaffs costing us both games. Hauck knows it too, and basically admitted it in his presser.

As to my specific complaint about our WRs fighting for the extra yards late in games when defenses are going to try to strip the ball to cause a turnover, I would share this. When I coached in high school, we actually practiced the act of having our RBs and WRs going down on first contact in exact situations that the Grizzlies were in during both the WIU and PSU games.... nursing narrow leads late when the only way to lose was to turn the ball over. We called it our "Dragon" offense. When the head coach decided to employ the Dragon offense, he would call it on the sidelines before the offense went into the game after a change of possession, or, if the offense was already on the field, he would send in a player to employ the Dragon while they huddled for the next play. The Dragon meant...... both hands around the ball securing it against the fumble, and going down on first contact. If the Griz had installed such an offensive strategy in those two losses, they would have probably won both games. We didn't NEED more points at that point, we needed to avoid the turnover...... punt the ball (or, in the case of Portland State, kick the FG), and force the clock to run, negating their ability to have enough time to win the game.

Comment

Some quick thoughts from being at the game:

- Crowd was really into it the whole game - haven't heard WaGriz like that for a while

- There's no denying the fight of this Griz team - they just keep coming at you

- This was a really ugly game overall. Multiple mistakes by both teams at in-opportune moments.

- Darn near a carbon copy of the Cal Poly game from 2015. Offense failed late (only a non-converted 4th and 1 - whereas the game this past Saturday was a fumble), Poly drove down the field and hit a 45/46 yard field goal to win. Only this game it was a 52 yard field goal. Heckuva kick and you have to tip your cap to their kicker for executing in such a big moment.

- I left this game feeling like one of the teams finally won in spite of themselves

- Good on Coach Hauck for admitting they could have done better - hopefully they'll grow from this. On to UND.

Comment

I also was at that loss to Cal Poly. That game was also lost due to poor coaching. Yes, there was the stupid call on 4th down by us where we used a LB to try to run the ball, when we had Joey Counts sitting on the bench! If you remember, the clock was also our friend in that game, because Poly had no TOs left, and the only way they could stop the clock was to get out-of-bounds. Ty G. allowed them to run two consecutive plays wide and go out of bounds, instead of tackling them in-bounds, which would have run out the clock. Then, the kid hits a 50-yard FG to beat us. That kicker was also a true frosh, just like the PSU kicker.

As I said, the nut-cutting for a head coach is the ability to win close games in the final 2-3 minutes. It becomes a chess match at that time between the two head coaches, and the game clock. Bobby has been on the short end of that stick twice this season, and I think he knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post

Nobody questions the fact the players shit in their nest on Saturday. We were a 26-point favorite in that game, but the players pissed that advantage away with the things you described. Still, we could have won that game if the coaches hadn't screwed the pooch in the last couple of minutes, just like they did against WIU. There will always be close games which come down to the final couple of minutes, and it is these close games which separate the great coaches from the average ones. It comes down to time management, critical play calls, field position management, and other considerations. When a team has the lead with two minutes to play, the clock becomes their opponent instead of the opposing team. In both losses, our coaching staff did a shitty job during the last couple minutes, and it cost them the game.

Yes, I understand that Curran's fumble was not the fault of the coaches. But, why does he even have the opportunity to fumble??? He should not have been in the game during that drive because he has a history of drops and fumbles. Akem and Toure are not soft. Where do you get that stuff?

The playcalling in the last few minutes of the L's has been aggravating I agree with that. However-we have proven that we have close to ZERO ability to run the ball the rest of the game, making the coaches continue to toss the ball around when conventional wisdom says 3 yards and a cloud of dust should reign supreme.

Our atrocious O-line just gets no push. Can even be tough for great rb's to get yardage when they are getting hit in the backfield (also not saying we have a single "great" rb on the roster).

I think we are a couple of years away from being able to seriously make some noise come playoff time. This recruiting cycle will be very interesting to watch.

I'm looking for Bobby to take 5+ D-lineman and 6+ O-lineman that are just mean. Let the receivers and corners be the talkers, we need maulers on the line.

Comment

I will say it again. We are 2-3 years from being considered a very good team.

Comment

Originally posted by grizpack View Post
                        I will say it again. We are 2-3 years from being considered a very good team.
                        I agree that we are AT LEAST 2-3 years before we can evaluate whether we are a good team. I will say this..... with the new Champions Center adding to our significant recruiting advantages over other FCS teams, Hauck ought to be able to recruit some great players. But we will have to wait and see.

Comment

Soon to be announced... Some pretty cool player conditioning and rehab upgrades. Should also help....

Comment

Working...
                          X