Drop-downs from the University of Arizona

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop-downs from the University of Arizona

For some reason, we have signed several drop-down players from Arizona in the past. To my knowledge, all have been defensive players. And, none of them have been very good. We need to stop taking their rejects. If you watched Utah destroy the Arizona defense last night, and understand that Arizona has the weakest defense in the PAC 12, you will get my reasoning here. If a kid is not good enough to start for Arizona, why would we want him?

Don’t really know where you are going here. Any PAC 12 drop down should be viewed as a potential recruit for the Griz IMO. Utah can dominate any team on any given day. Under Kyle W. The D has been talented, quick and stout. UA was on like their 3rd QB of the season and it was a road game at Utah which is never a “cake walk”. Az is young and they have talent....

Comment

Originally posted by CV Griz Fan View Post
      Don’t really know where you are going here. Any PAC 12 drop down should be viewed as a potential recruit for the Griz IMO. Utah can dominate any team on any given day. Under Kyle W. The D has been talented, quick and stout. UA was on like their 3rd QB of the season and it was a road game at Utah which is never a “cake walk”. Az is young and they have talent....
      Where am I going? Arizona has had one of the worst defenses in the PAC -12 for many years. The kids we get are not even good enough to start for Arizona's weak-assed defense, and we want them here??? I don't think so. Gavin Robertson is the latest over-hyped Arizona drop-down, and he is not even good enough to start here. None of the Arizona drop-downs have ever been any good.

i had to laugh at your suggestion that "any PAC-12 drop down should be a target" for us. First, the bottom teams in the PAC-12 are not much better than the good Big Sky teams. Second, there are many FBS recruits who are busts, and those are usually the ones available to drop-down.

Comment

What, you aren’t gonna take a flyer on Strong(OSU) or Sanders(UA)? C’mon. Sure Sanders fizzled his senior year but was it injuries or over hype? Strong was solid. UM is in no position to turn a blind eye to these potential talents. Other wise the Bo Tully’s, Matt Hermanson’s and Sandry’s of the world will be all you’ll see. TH, SS and others are anomalies....

Comment

Did I mention Oregon State in my post? I was discussing Arizona drop-downs. Strong was good against the run, but weak in coverage. Sanders was no better than our own recruits. Look how many of Cho-eats PAC-12 "stud" drop downs were a bust. He finally got a good one this year, but the kid was a disgruntled starter, not a back-up. And Arizona talent is a far cry from UDUB.

I would recruit any PAC-12 drop down who was good enough to start for their FBS team, but not any throw aways who were asked to transfer by their coach because they would never cut it at the FBS level.
          Last edited by growler; 10-13-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I know there are exceptions to the rule, but it seems we have had quite a few swings and misses from Arizona period.

Comment

Here's my take on the FBS drop-down thing:

There are plenty of FBS kids who are basically busts. Their coaches know that these kids will never contribute, and they want to free-up those scholarships, so they encourage those kids to transfer. We don't want or need those kids. There are other FBS kids who want to drop-down because they are stuck behind one or two kids, and just want to start instead of being a back-up. Many have good talent. We want these kids. Plus, there are kids who don't fit the system of their FBS team, or who do not like their coaches, for whatever the reason. We want these kids too.
              Last edited by growler; 10-15-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X