A New Low For The Football Program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Low For The Football Program

The carnage we have had to witness the past two weeks is nauseating, to put it mildly. We would have to go back to the 1980s to watch a Grizzly football team be this bad. Even in those days, our teams played with more discipline than this bunch...... they just didn't have the athletes to be competitive back then.

There is no shortage of blame to go around. This team does not even resemble the Bobby Hauck teams we were used to seeing in his prior 7-year tenure. In those days, we used to lead the Big Sky in turnover margin. Today, we must be at or near the bottom of the league in that category.

While Griz fans refuse to admit it, our talent level is no better than the bottom teams in the conference. I stated this fact on esugar before the season, and was lambasted by the Kool-Aid Kids. Pedestrian fans refuse to accept that the other coaches in the Big Sky only voted a single Grizzly player to the first or second team All-Conference team. Looks like they knew what they were doing, huh? There are high school offensive lines in Arizona better than our line. Our defensive secondary is a joke. Hell, our CBs line-up 12 yards off the LOS, giving the opposing offense a 5-7 yard pass completion any fcuking time they want it! Even our defensive line is not that good. They get zero pressure on the QB, no matter how weak the opposing O-line is.

Dalton Sneed is not the answer at QB. After our opponents watched game film from our first couple of games, where Sneed's running ability made our offense relative productive, they all starting spying Sneed, thus taking away his threat on called QB running plays. To make matters worse, opponents now know that Sneed has no ability to burn them deep...... and also know that our O-line is so weak that by blitzing 6-7 defenders, and playing our WRs tight, knowing that Sneed will only throw short passes, they effectively throttle our passing game. Without the ability/accuracy for Sneed to throw the medium/long pass, it makes the defense's job very easy.

You go over to esugar, and Brint Wahlberg is still trying to tell Griz Nation that we can still be a good team this year. He says we don't lack talent, rather just need to "play better, execute better, and stop making turnovers". What a joke! Our talent level is about equal to that of Idaho or Sac. State. We are an awful football team..... undisciplined, can not catch passes, fumble too often, have a high school quality O-line, and have a pathetic secondary. It will not get any better this season. We will have trouble beating anyone else on our schedule.

We are in a total re-building mode, and Griz fans need to accept it. The glory days are but a very distant memory in our rear-view mirror. Sadly, they ain't coming back very quickly either. If Hauck doesn't somehow find a better QB next season, we can expect more of the same next year.
    Last edited by growler; 10-13-2018, 05:42 PM.

Only Bobby's first year. He is trying to piecemeal Stitt's players and his transfers together. If this stuff is still happening 2 years from now, he is in trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Putter View Post
      Only Bobby's first year. He is trying to piecemeal Stitt's players and his transfers together. If this stuff is still happening 2 years from now, he is in trouble
      Agreed. But, do you agree that Sneed is not the answer at QB?

Comment

QB is the last position I worry about on this team.

There isn't a QB in the FCS that would do any better than Sneed with this offensive, offensive line. Sneed isn't fumbling the ball after receptions or on special teams. There are a lot of players and positions to be upset with but IMO QB and Sneed are not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
          QB is the last position I worry about on this team.

There isn't a QB in the FCS that would do any better than Sneed with this offensive, offensive line. Sneed isn't fumbling the ball after receptions or on special teams. There are a lot of players and positions to be upset with but IMO QB and Sneed are not one of them.
          Sneed can not throw an accurate pass longer than 15 yards. He was valuable as a runner early, but teams watched the tape and have taken the QB run away from him. He is way too easy to defense with no threat of a long pass. If he is our starter next season, we will do nothing in the Big Sky. I don't think Humphrey is the answer either, but Wilson might be.

There are several QBs in this league who could do better, even with our O-line.

Comment

I would venture to guess that there are players on scholarship and play who will not be on the roster next year. Remaining games will be a weeding out of who to keep. Assistants will also be gone. Germer apparently is not the answer.

Comment

I agree that Hauck will run quite a few players off, and maybe a coach or two. But, I do not think our O-line problems have anything to do with Germer, and everything to do with a lack of talent. I realize that Germer recruited some of these kids, but the line which is playing now are all back-up types, who should be warming the bench. We lost two STUDS (Torres and Jackson), who would have been starting at the critical tackle positions. We also lost our center to injury. So, we are down 3 starters. If Torres and Jackson were still here, we could field 5 O-line starters which would have been solid. Our depth would still be very young, but the starting 5 would have been pretty good.

Remember that Germer coached some very good lines during our glory years.

Comment

I don't disagree but sometimes it takes a new eye to turn things around. (On e-sugar, this is the point where someone pipes up with DOLA. Puke!)

Comment

Originally posted by glendivegriz View Post
                  I don't disagree but sometimes it takes a new eye to turn things around. (On e-sugar, this is the point where someone pipes up with DOLA. Puke!)
                  LOL, I actually was going to make a post about reading that DOLA bullshit again over there. Brint started that DOLA stuff, and the lemmings adopted it and love to throw it around. It is a meaningless phrase, and it is used by pedestrian fans to feebly try to justify why our O-line is not performing well........they lack DOLA, when the real reason is that they lack talent. Makes me wanna hurl too!

I don't think an NFL O-line coach could make these kids play better. They are too slow, not quick enough, and have poor feet.

Comment

Didn’t Germer recruit all of the kids?

Comment

Was Germer here under Delaney? I have forgotten. Position coaches aren't always the primary recruiter even for their position. The recruiting coordinator and head coach do a lot of the recruiting, but I am sure Germer had some input if was there when all of these kids were recruited.

Comment

The OL problems have existed with several coaches without improvement. It seems apparent that it is time for drastic measures to stop the bleeding. I think we need to recruit some studs at the JC level for the next couple of years which would provide for immediate strength.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky1 View Post
                          The OL problems have existed with several coaches without improvement. It seems apparent that it is time for drastic measures to stop the bleeding. I think we need to recruit some studs at the JC level for the next couple of years which would provide for immediate strength.
                          Most of the JC studs go to FBS teams

Comment

I think losing Jackson was huge. He appeared to be the leader. I'm not sure we can just depend on JUCO or drop down. We have to get kids in and develop. At this point, the attrition with our recruits on the line has been horrid. I think it sums it up when you consider how many times this year, we have needed one yard for a first down and get stonewalled. I find that hard to fathom. I can understand someone shooting a gap occasionally, but we consistently can not get enough movement to even fall forward for a first down.

Comment

Agreed on losing Jackson. He was a legit 3-star recruit who had offers from several FBS programs, and possibly the highest-rated O-lineman we have ever recruited.
                              Last edited by growler; 10-17-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X