Recruitng

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruitng

I have been harping on this topic for many years, and have YET to read a sensical rebuttal from anyone! Look, we enjoy BY A WIDE MARGIN the biggest recruiting advantage in either FBS or FCS football! Yes, a much bigger recruiting advantage than any FBS team too! Tell me one FBS school who enjoys a stadium that is so much better than any other FBS stadium? Show me an FBS school whose training facility is so much better than the other top teams in the nation. You can't.

Our recruiting advantage over any FCS school West of the Mississippi is HUGE! Our stadium is BY FAR the best. Our new Champions Center is of FBS quality, and better than any other FCS school! Our fan base is legendary. While most FBS teams would love to have 7-10 thousand fans in their stadium, we routinely have 23-26 thousand.

Why then, do we routinely get out-recruited??? There has got to be a reason. Here are my reasons:

1) We no longer dominate the in-state recruiting
    2) We are not as good in identifying the out-of-state talent as other FCS teams.
    3) We are very poor at evaluating high school QBs. Why is it that EWU always seems to have 2-3 great QBs on their team, while we have trouble finding ONE quality starter?
    4) Our recruiting area is too small, and should be expanded to areas like Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin.
    5) Our recruiting budget is too small. Not sure how it compares to other Big Sky teams currently, but I know that it used to be among the lowest budgets in the league.
    6) We do not seem to be "in the mix" with other Big Sky Teams for most of our targeted recruits. If we are evaluating talent correctly, we should be going after many of the same kids as other Big Sky schools, as well as some of the second tier FBS schools. Doesn't seem to happen much, which, to me says that we are not doing a good job in evaluating talent.
    7) We may need a new recruiting coordinator. Green has been the coordinator for several years. Perhaps he is not as good as many have anointed him to be.

Bottom line is, NO TEAM has as many recruiting advantages as Montana! PERIOD! Yet, we are not winning the recruiting wars...... even in our conference..... and we are not even CLOSE on a national basis! It has got to improve, or things will not change. Lou Sabin could not win with our talent. Ultimately, it comes down to the players.

Last edited by growler; 10-13-2018, 06:06 PM.

Should be right up there I would think. NDSU is, and you'd have to be in Fargo-so the cold weather stuff is a non factor in my opinion.

have to spend $ to make $

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeyebowhunter View Post
      Should be right up there I would think. NDSU is, and you'd have to be in Fargo-so the cold weather stuff is a non factor in my opinion.

have to spend $ to make $
      That dome is a joke as far as a game-time experience goes as opposed to Washington/Griz

Comment

Have you ever even attended a game there?

The tailgating has no rival even the FBS and the atmosphere in there is pretty awesome for FCS.

Fargo has a great downtown and usually the people complaining about it are ass clowns that have never even been to ND.

Trust me, I want to bash everything ND but there are awesome things there. Medora Billy Pulpit golf course, Teddy Roosevelt National Park and downtown Fargo.

There is a reason they dominate and it's a multiple level thing that nobody else gets..... . Its why they come in second every year

Comment

I haven't been to Fargo since about 1970. I just hate watching football in a dome, and have been told players that they don't like playing in a dome.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
            Have you ever even attended a game there?

The tailgating has no rival even the FBS and the atmosphere in there is pretty awesome for FCS.

Fargo has a great downtown and usually the people complaining about it are ass clowns that have never even been to ND.

Trust me, I want to bash everything ND but there are awesome things there. Medora Billy Pulpit golf course, Teddy Roosevelt National Park and downtown Fargo.

There is a reason they dominate and it's a multiple level thing that nobody else gets..... . Its why they come in second every year
            You know, I am so intrigued by your post, I think I will go to Watford City Saturday and have a few beers to check it out.

Comment

Problem is, 90% of this roster are guys who passed side-show-stitt's personality test. No doubt though, there is no reason for UM to not have top 5 fcs recruiting classes every year. Biggest weakness rt now with the griz is they have below average team strength and size. Which is why this team and recent teams crumble about midway through the season - because they are weak and getting worn out.

Watch NDSU sometime - that is the standard. Big physical fast and disciplined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csw4mYcboZQ

Disagree with:
              - Importance of winning in-state recruiting battle -- Either guys can help win a championship or they can't, doesn't matter where they come from. It's good to have Montana blood in the program, but its way down on my priorities list.
              - Expand recruiting territory -- You gotta focus your energies and work proven territories (WA, OR, CA, CO, AZ). It's hard for mom or dad to fly to Missoula from Omaha or OKC. midwest/texas HS commits usually don't stick around. In terms of Juco recruits, I'd expand that nationwide and take more chances with "character-issue" guys.

Gotta assume that Hauck has created and/or strengthened a lot of Western recruiting connections since he was last at Montana. Griz gotta compete with and occasionally land MWC or tweener PAC-12 talent. Griz don't have the budget or the respect to recruit the Midwest. NDSU has that locked down.

Hauck will take recruiting from a 4.5 to 8, pretty much immediately. Expecting to see strong, fast, mean motherfukers who can fight.
              Last edited by 5 7 0 0; 10-19-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 7 0 0 View Post
                Problem is, 90% of this roster are guys who passed side-show-stitt's personality test. No doubt though, there is no reason for UM to not have top 5 fcs recruiting classes every year. Biggest weakness rt now with the griz is they have below average team strength and size. Which is why this team and recent teams crumble about midway through the season - because they are weak and getting worn out.

Watch NDSU sometime - that is the standard. Big physical fast and disciplined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csw4mYcboZQ

Disagree with:
                - Importance of winning in-state recruiting battle -- Either guys can help win a championship or they can't, doesn't matter where they come from. It's good to have Montana blood in the program, but its way down on my priorities list.
                - Expand recruiting territory -- You gotta focus your energies and work proven territories (WA, OR, CA, CO, AZ). It's hard for mom or dad to fly to Missoula from Omaha or OKC. midwest/texas HS commits usually don't stick around. In terms of Juco recruits, I'd expand that nationwide and take more chances with "character-issue" guys.

Gotta assume that Hauck has created and/or strengthened a lot of Western recruiting connections since he was last at Montana. Griz gotta compete with and occasionally land MWC or tweener PAC-12 talent. Griz don't have the budget or the respect to recruit the Midwest. NDSU has that locked down.

Hauck will take recruiting from a 4.5 to 8, pretty much immediately. Expecting to see strong, fast, mean motherfukers who can fight.
                If NDSU has the Mid-west locked down, how do SDSU, North Dakota, and Northern Iowa, have strong teams in most years?

Comment

I pretty much agree with all that 5700 says here. Forget the in-state recruiting battle. MSU sucks so what does winning the Montana recruiting battle get you? I’d say keep pushin’ the west coast area particularly Cali. When my kid signed in ‘12, the Griz reputation was steller. A mini FBS program that produced NFL talent. Gotta get back to that level. Strong, fast and tough MF’rs is certainly a good place to start....
                  Last edited by CV Griz Fan; 10-20-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

When we were playing for national championships, we had lots of Montana players starting for us. Now, very few. Montana has one million people, and has almost no recruiting pressure from teams outside the state. There are always solid 5-8 FCS caliber players coming out of high school every year. We used to get 80% of them. The last few years, the Cats have out-recruited us in-state. It should also be noted that almost all of our NFL players except Tru Johnson have been in-state kids. I don't think we are capable of recruiting enough out-of-state talent to be dominant like we used to be without adding the best in-state players.

Comment

Montana produces players with natural athletic talent that can develop into outstanding team contributors if they receive solid coaching. They may take a couple of years to develop compared to a shorter time period with some out of state recruits.

Comment

Good point Spanky. I’d like to see the Griz continue to find the Colts Anderson types but some of those situations were just luck. Wasn’t Colt a walk-on?

Comment

The Salt Lake City metro area (from Ogden to Provo) has approximately 1.7 million people. There are three FBS teams (BYU, Utah, & Utah state) recruiting that area, as well as two FCS teams (Weber & SUU). If you examine the rosters of these five teams, you will find many local kids on their rosters. In Montana, with 1 million people, our two FCS schools have little competition for the in-state talent. Thus, we enjoy a huge recruiting advantage over the two Utah FCS schools.

it should be noted that in both of our national championship wins, the QBs on those teams were in-state kids. If we think we can return to national levels by strictly recruiting CA, WA, and OR, we will not. There is way too much competition for the quality athletes in those states. Every Big Sky school recruits in these states, as well as all of the lower FBS schools whom we compete with for the same players. When Don Read became our head coach, his first priority was to dominate the in-state recruiting. He and his coaches made a state-wide foray during the summer to visit as many coaches/programs in the state as possible. It worked, and you saw the results. Returning to becoming a nationally dominant program STARTS with owning the state of Montana recruiting. Period. Bobby understands this, and I think he will once again get us back to that dominance.

Comment

Working...
                          X