Hitting the Reset Button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the Reset Button

Some of you probably already read it, but I thought I would post it here. Yes it is long. Might include some double speak and a lot of perspective from a failed class C coach.

I don't believe my opinion is the be all and end all. This started to formulate in my head last week, that maybe just maybe this constant changing is starting to wear on the program. I think Bobby gets it right, but my greatest fear at this point is that because of all that change that it might just take longer than two or three years and the program and the community lose patience again.

That was a crappy football game on Saturday, but I just don't see the need to panic or over react.

https://wp.me/p7PLve-5n
    Buckle in folks, this is gonna be a bumpy ride. Grab some coffee. You might be here for a while. In my roughly 15 years of coaching high school football, I have only been apart of five teams who ha…

I don't agree that our problems are caused by re-setting our head coach. Here is a statement from your blog which I disagree 100% with....."This isn’t because of who was coaching, but rather we cannot stay the course." By making this statement, you are suggesting that Bob Stitt could have made us great again, if only given more time. Stitt was so far over his head at the FBS level, that it should have jumped out at you since you have been a coach. Don't forget that Stitt would be coaching the same players this season that he left Hauck with, but with Jensen at QB. If you think that Jensen could be effective behind this O-line, then you are smoking wacky weed. And, our defensive backfield is a disaster, and Stitt's lack of recruiting defensive players is one of the primary reasons. We lose the Northern Iowa game if Stitt/Jensen were still here.

The Griz fans living for yesterday, and wishing for another dose of the Stitt-show, are just showing how clueless they are. It should be obvious that the coaching fraternity throughout the nation agrees with me, since nobody lined-up to hire him as a head coach, even though he spent three seasons leading one of the most coveted FCS jobs in America. One would think that SOMEBODY would want him, right?

Your angle that it takes many years to build a winner is not supported by the facts. Bohl left NDSU, and the new coach never missed a beat in keeping the Bison on top of the FCS world. Same thing at Eastern Washington.......one head guy leaves, the next coach up continues the dominance. There is way too much excuse-making about changes in systems, and in "recruiting his own players". Football is, in reality, a simple game. If a coach recruits solid athletes, they can adapt to any system..... the exception being the QB position, and the O-linemen if a team runs the triple option. Joe Glenn did not run the same offense as Read/Dennehy. Hauck/Phenicie totally changed the Glenn offense. Yet, the players had no problem adapting, and the winning continued. "Systems changes" are but a weak excuse for losing..... it is the athletes who make the difference.

Bobby Hauck has been out-coached so far this season.... and his coaching decisions have cost us the WIU and PSU games, in addition to the stupid Bingham running play last week. His reputation as a great ST coach has come back to bite him in the ass, because our special teams have frankly been a disaster. If he is delegating ST duties to Shann, as I am hearing, he needs to pull the plug on that experiment!

But, I still think Bobby is a good enough recruiter to dominate the in-state recruiting once again like he used to, and to bring in the type of talent we used to recruit. I have said since his hiring that it will take a MINIMUM of 3 years to be good again, but perhaps even a couple more. However, the reason is NOT because of a "re-set", it is because Bob Stitt's recruiting left us with a roster which looks more like that of Sac State or N. Colorado rather than Eastern Washington. The talent and depth are just not there.
    Last edited by growler; 10-17-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

24, thought you might respond to my post regarding your post. Any thoughts?

Comment

Sorry I have been super busy. I haven't had time to sit down.

I see your perspective. Personally I think the EWU and NDSU would have had a tad more relevance if we were talking about 2010 or 12 and not 2018.

I don't buy into the idea that making a hire for purely schematic reasons whether it was Stitt or Hauck is the primary evaluator for the health of the program. Maybe hiring Stitt was the wrong choice, I still don't see it that way. But if you are going to sign off on a vision from a coach that he is openly targeting 2018/19/20 seasons and then punt after year two or three, and then hire a new guy that takes the program in a whole other direction, I am not sure the downward plane is on an individual coach. Stitt obviously didn't do enough, and merited the decision that they made, but this constant need to obtain perfection immediately by some boosters and some elements of the fan base isn't healthy. Just look at the dumpster fire after PSU and UND.

It is easy to criticize coaching, because it is out there for the whole world to see. Hauck's decision making hasn't been flawless, and he has been out maneuvered in a couple games. What Hauck has done in the first 7 games is a pretty small sample set, but it seems far different narrative wise than a lot thought it would be. If you go on that 7 game sample size, the predominate criticism of Stitt, remains under Hauck. And as people start going after Hauck, Rosebach and a bevy of players, it is a tad rich to me that some behave that as if it wasn't their criticism in the two prior regimes.

I do believe in Hauck to get his vision, he's an excellent recruiter, but I think there is some proof that the constant change and roster reboots has impacted the overall health of the program. You can place blame where ever you want because there is a lot to go around. Sooner or later we have to set a course and stick with it. I don't believe that keeping Stitt would have been better long term, might have been, but there were few guarantees that would happen. The further and further into this process we get and further and further we get away from the top, the more it is imperative that we find some solid footing, a course and move forward.

Comment

Look, the past two coaching hires have been abysmal, not because of the results, but because both coaches were totally out of their league in the positions they were hired for. There was a reason that Delaney was never able to move up from a career position coach, yet we hired him as a head coach, supposedly for one year, then stupidly allowed him to successfully politic for two more years, to finish his demolition of the program. Then, we compound the stupidity by hiring a 15-year career Division II coach, with a W/L record just slightly above 0.500. Why would ANY AD make that hire??? Once again, Stitt had wanted to move up for many years while at Mines....... yet no AD bit, until Haslam comes along and Stitt hits the grand slam home run by getting one of the top FCS head jobs in the nation! It should be no surprise that Stitt has been unable to secure another FCS head job, even with a lowly Mid-Major school. I know that you always seem to take the angle that it doesn't matter who is the head coach...... but I don't agree. Delaney and Stitt put this program in the dumpster, with poor recruiting, and in Stitt's case, not placing any emphasis on defense and special teams.
          Last edited by growler; 10-21-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            Look, the past two coaching hires have been abysmal, not because of the results, but because both coaches were totally out of their league in the positions they were hired for. There was a reason that Delaney was never able to move up from a career position coach, yet we hired him as a head coach, supposedly for one year, then stupidly allowed him to successfully politic for two more years, to finish his demolition of the program. Then, we compound the stupidity by hire a 15-year career Division II coach, with a W/L record just slightly above 0.500. Why would ANY AD make that hire??? Once again, Stitt had wanted to move up for many years while at Mines....... yet no AD bit, until Haslam comes along and Stitt hits the grand slam hone run by getting one of the top FCS head jobs in the nation! It should be no surprise that Stitt has been unable to secure another FCS head job, even with a lowly Mid-Major school. I know that you always seem to take the angle that it doesn't matter who is the head coach...... but I don't agree. Delaney and Stitt put this program in the dumpster, with poor recruiting, and in Stitt's case, not placing any emphasis on defense and special teams.
            BH and this season are somewhat irrelevant IMO. He’ll get his long term chance and Griz Nation will see what he can do. While I too supported the Stitt hire initially, he turned out to be a bad choice. That’s just a fact. Growler’s post really crystallizes the issue. The start of the run away snowball rolling down the the hill to mediocrity for Griz football was obviously firing Pflu. The subsequent HC choices were the daggers in the back. This is not unusual however. Many organizations make bad decisions which are followed by more bad decisions. It can become a vicious cycle until it runs it’s course. Griz football has bottomed out IMO. We will see if BH can rekindle some magic.....

Comment

My whole point wasn't to legislate what happened in the past but rather get beyond this idea that we need progress immediately. My point was in 2015 as it is now, this program is in dire need of stability and longevity. That is why I supported the Stitt hire and the idea of having a 5 year plan. To me that is more imperative at this point that the perspective should be 2020,2021 and so forth. If Bobby lasts 3 or less I think we are in serious trouble. If we are successful before that point, great. But if we have crappy 2018,19 seasons and no playoffs, we have to resist the desire by all stakeholders to look for an immediate or quick fix. Like I said we are well beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
                My whole point wasn't to legislate what happened in the past but rather get beyond this idea that we need progress immediately. My point was in 2015 as it is now, this program is in dire need of stability and longevity. That is why I supported the Stitt hire and the idea of having a 5 year plan. To me that is more imperative at this point that the perspective should be 2020,2021 and so forth. If Bobby lasts 3 or less I think we are in serious trouble. If we are successful before that point, great. But if we have crappy 2018,19 seasons and no playoffs, we have to resist the desire by all stakeholders to look for an immediate or quick fix. Like I said we are well beyond that.

So, you give a head coach like Bob Stitt, who by year three had constructed a program headed nowhere but down, another two years??? Seriously, 24? "Continuity"? Continuity in ineptness is all that Stitt achieved in his three seasons, and it would have only been worse in years four and five! Do you really think that Stitt could have done anything this season with the depleted roster he left us with? I assure you that he would not have won the Northern Iowa game. Without Sneed's running in that game, we are not even CLOSE to a victory!

Notre Dame stupidly signed a high school coach, Gerry Faust, to a five-year contract to be their head coach. Within the first year, it was painfully obvious to all that Faust was totally out of his league. Yet, Notre Dame decided to allow Faust to complete his five seasons, to achieve "continuity" in their program. The results were disastrous, and predictable. When it becomes obvious that a bad hire was made, you move on, and fcuk continuity!!! Two more years of Bob Stitt would have set us back even further than we are today.
                Last edited by growler; 10-21-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

We are on different wavelengths here. I was an advocate of giving Stitt time. The reasons are essentially the same then as they are now. I have been around programs and worked in programs that have had very little continuity. In some cases not that it would help, because we were heaping pile of dog poop bad, but in others that I felt as an assistant that there were a lot of things being missed.

If they are horrid then they don't deserve to stay. That being said, people have to get it out of their minds that we are a philosophical change away from being elite again. As I have said before, Hauck might not need four or five years, but if things haven't improved after year three, it might not be his fault. Are people going to be supportive of Bobby after three seasons that are similar to Stitt? If Bobby doesn't churn out 8-3, 9-2 and 10-1 seasons, I just really wonder if people will have the patience. Judging by the attitude exhibited by some after the PSU and UND losses, I just don't know how flexible or what reality some live in. Just being honest.

Comment

You were an advocate of giving Stitt time...... right. No, the reasons are NOT "essentially the same as they are now". Bob Stitt had an 18-year record of mediocrity, and it was painfully obvious as early as his first season that he would NEVER be the answer as the Griz head coach. If you did not see that then, you were blind. Every Griz fan who knows football saw it. Conversely, Bobby Hauck is a known commodity at the FCS level. So, to try to say that things are essentially the same under Stitt as they are now" is ridiculous. First, Bob Stitt inherited a much stronger roster from Delaney than he left Hauck with. As I have said earlier, Nick Sabin could not be successful coaching the Griz team this season. This is the weakest overall collection of athletes in 30 years at UM.

Bottom line is this..... If we make a good hire for the head job, and the team shows progress during his first three seasons, then yes, I would give him two more seasons. However, Stitt did NOTHING to demonstrate a growing program. To the contrary, his program headed downhill in each of his three seasons.

Continuity is great........ PROVIDING YOU HAVE THE RIGHT HEAD COACH. We didn't with either Delaney, nor Stitt.
                    Last edited by growler; 10-22-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I see both of your points. I did not like the Stitt hire from day one which is irrelevant now. Stitt in three years showed he was meandering in recruiting and more importantly it was obvious that he didn't have a firm hold on the locker room. The teams seemed more and more disinterested as time passed. I agree we give Bobby more time unless there are major issues which arise. He has a track record and has demonstrated he can get players to buy in to his program. I believe it will take at least four years to turn the roster around to the point we see appreciable results. I don't think a few band aid drop downs are going to fix the problem. It appears that we are targeting Montana kids this year more than Stitt. I would speculate that Bobby is using that a foundation of flipping the culture with an eye to the fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by glendivegriz View Post
                        I see both of your points. I did not like the Stitt hire from day one which is irrelevant now. Stitt in three years showed he was meandering in recruiting and more importantly it was obvious that he didn't have a firm hold on the locker room. The teams seemed more and more disinterested as time passed. I agree we give Bobby more time unless there are major issues which arise. He has a track record and has demonstrated he can get players to buy in to his program. I believe it will take at least four years to turn the roster around to the point we see appreciable results. I don't think a few band aid drop downs are going to fix the problem. It appears that we are targeting Montana kids this year more than Stitt. I would speculate that Bobby is using that a foundation of flipping the culture with an eye to the fan base.
                        Returning to glory STARTS with owning the state in recruiting. There is no way we can recruit strictly out-of-state talent and get there. Too much competition for the caliber of recruits we need. There are plenty of 2-star and even a few 3-star caliber kids in Montana every year, but, because none of the recruiting services cover Montana, these kids never get ranked. But they are there. If some of these kids played in WA, OR, CO, etc., they would be rated by the services, and would be recruited heavily. We need to sign these kids every year.

Comment

To summarize my opinion to the thread topic....... continuity is only important PROVIDING we have the right head coach hired. With Delaney and Stitt, we could have given either of them TEN SEASONS, and nothing would have changed. So, in their cases...... f_ck continuity and hire the right coach!

Comment

What is your excuse going to be when Hauck is here 5 or 6 years and we still are not an elite program?

I wasn't a fan of hiring Hauck back because of what he did at UNLV, he didn't leave it better than he found it. Everyone likes to laud accolades on Hauck about his recruiting but that didn't translate at the FBS level and I am not sure he will do much back here in Montana. I hope they give him time and I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                              What is your excuse going to be when Hauck is here 5 or 6 years and we still are not an elite program?

I wasn't a fan of hiring Hauck back because of what he did at UNLV, he didn't leave it better than he found it. Everyone likes to laud accolades on Hauck about his recruiting but that didn't translate at the FBS level and I am not sure he will do much back here in Montana. I hope they give him time and I am wrong.
                              Well, we will have to see if that plays out. I believe you could put Saban at UNLV and he would struggle. Let's face it, the campus is ugly. The fan base is isn't good. The stadium isn't bad but there is nothing enticing about playing for UNLV. Most of the talent in the area gets picked off by Power 5 conference teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X