No announcement yet.

Griz at Southern Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that playoffs are an outside shot, but not a distant one. They would have to win the last two games AND get some incredible help from the field. You can argue whether this team deserves to be in the playoffs, but in recent years pundits have included Montana in the conversation despite less than overwhelming credentials with similar conference mediocrity. If Montana finishes 7-4 with a 5-3 conference record and that win over Northern Iowa, they'll get discussed.

Comment

I don't think there is any doubt this team could make the playoffs with 24 teams getting in, Montana's national reputation and the seating capacity of our stadium. I just don't think we would go very far because we are not a very good team. Making the playoffs doesn't make you a good team. Expanding the bracket to 24 teams was a mistake and now its just like a bowl system where almost every team gets a participation trophy.

Comment

I was at the SUU game. First, we played very well in all aspects of the game....except one......PENALTIES! I get so f_cking sick of watching our team get 2-3 stupid personal fowl penalties every game, along with their predictable array of holding, blocks-in-the-back, and motion penalties. PF penalties have always been a given with Hauck-coached teams, and it will cost us games in the future. Robby Hauck should have been called for 2 more personal fouls against SUU. He is trying too hard to be like uncle Tim, but lacks the speed and talent to do so. He is always chirping after every play and he just needs to STFU and play!

Discipline has never been a trademark of Bobby's teams, and nothing has changed. It is so refreshing watching two teams like Alabama and LSU play, without all of the bullshit PF penalties and cheap shots. Those two teams pounded each other with athleticism and hitting like you rarely see, but no cheap shots and stupid in-your-face chirping. Sabin will not tolerate stupidity in games. Players know they will sit if they make stupid penalties, so they don't. I wish Hauck would do the same. He could start with his son.
        Last edited by growler; 11-09-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Just a bit of commentary on PF penalties and penalties in general.

Over the years I have come to this philosophy about defensive penalties. The late hit penalties come in two general categories. The first I am more than willing to accept, which is the result of playing hard and effort. The second not so much, which is those that are situational and are the result of lack of awareness. I hate late hits out of bounds, running into kickers, punt returners and response penalties. I have no problem in having players getting penalties in coming to the aid of a teammate. We'd run on Mondays as a team for penalty yards. Kids knew that hustle penalties were different than mental penalties. We'd penalize 2 for 1 on every yard for mental mistake penalties, and 1/2 for every 1 physical penalty. We wanted to eliminate the mental mistakes and most years we were pretty successful at eliminating those as a team by mid year.

I have only benched a few kids over the years for penalties, and they were because the kids was clearly out of control and outside of their minds. Dirty plays will get the kids pulled off the field and that has happened more often, and like Bobby, there would be post game and practice conditioning enhancements. We've suspended kids over the years for things we have picked up on film (cheap shots, punches, and the like) and the officials have missed. Some of that stuff you have to be diligent about and some it frankly is in the flow of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
            Just a bit of commentary on PF penalties and penalties in general.

Over the years I have come to this philosophy about defensive penalties. The late hit penalties come in two general categories. The first I am more than willing to accept, which is the result of playing hard and effort. The second not so much, which is those that are situational and are the result of lack of awareness. I hate late hits out of bounds, running into kickers, punt returners and response penalties. I have no problem in having players getting penalties in coming to the aid of a teammate. We'd run on Mondays as a team for penalty yards. Kids knew that hustle penalties were different than mental penalties. We'd penalize 2 for 1 on every yard for mental mistake penalties, and 1/2 for every 1 physical penalty. We wanted to eliminate the mental mistakes and most years we were pretty successful at eliminating those as a team by mid year.

I have only benched a few kids over the years for penalties, and they were because the kids was clearly out of control and outside of their minds. Dirty plays will get the kids pulled off the field and that has happened more often, and like Bobby, there would be post game and practice conditioning enhancements. We've suspended kids over the years for things we have picked up on film (cheap shots, punches, and the like) and the officials have missed. Some of that stuff you have to be diligent about and some it frankly is in the flow of the game.
            Hauck's teams commit penalties because he doesn't stress coaching not to do so. I can not remember Hauck ever talking about limiting penalties in an interview. I think we had 9 penalties for over 150 yards against SUU, and that fact was never mentioned in his presser, to my knowledge. Teams can overcome stupid penalties in games like the SUU game, but they can turn a win into a loss. Until Bobby places emphasis, and imposes consequences for his team committing stupid penalties, they will continue to be a regular occurrence with his teams just like in his first gig here.

Comment

I think there are two places that are highly reflective of coaching are as penalties are concerned. Procedure and form penalties. Delay of Game, Illegal Procedure, False Start, and the like are eminently fixable by how you practice and what you practice. The same goes if you are a pass pro team, and you have 3 to 4 holding penalties a game, or a press team and you get a ton of PI calls.

You can get PI and holds called while executing form perfectly, but it is my experience coaching in programs where you suffer from lack of details that you can put your players into to positions where they will get penalties called. I hate watching Press coverage teams who can't press. To me that is coaching, ability and scheme. All fixable.

If you can't fix it, then you have to change scheme or personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
                I think there are two places that are highly reflective of coaching are as penalties are concerned. Procedure and form penalties. Delay of Game, Illegal Procedure, False Start, and the like are eminently fixable by how you practice and what you practice. The same goes if you are a pass pro team, and you have 3 to 4 holding penalties a game, or a press team and you get a ton of PI calls.

You can get PI and holds called while executing form perfectly, but it is my experience coaching in programs where you suffer from lack of details that you can put your players into to positions where they will get penalties called. I hate watching Press coverage teams who can't press. To me that is coaching, ability and scheme. All fixable.

If you can't fix it, then you have to change scheme or personnel.
                It is the stupid personal fowl penalties that fry my ass. I would love to know how many PF penalties we have been imposed this season. I know that it is a lot of them. I have watched Alabama three times this season, and can not remember them getting PF penalty. A head coach can limit them by having a policy of non-tolerance for them. You get one, you sit for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                X