X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keys to Beating State

1. Stop Troy Anderson
    2. No turnovers

The cats cannot score without Anderson, put 3 spies on him and let somebody else score 5 TDs before you change that philosophy. Just like Murray stop him stop the cats............psssst Anderson is gonna get the ball 30 times on Saturday!

/endthread

Does anyone think that MSU players like Chapman, Hadley, Jobman, Oreilly, Cozzie or Gilman can cover/run with anyone like Sneed, JLM, Sulser or Eastwood coming out of the back field or in the slot?

Can any of their nickel corners cover any of our slot guys?

How do 5'8" 150lb or 5'8 175lb corners match up with Akem, Toure?

How do the slow LBs at MSU cover Bingham, Deming or Rensvold

This is a match up nightmare for MSU

Comment

Agree on both counts. Absolutely have 2-3 people keying on Anderson (who is a flat stud, and would be a fantastic LB for them). I also think their LB's (without Anderson) may be their Achilles this weekend.

Comment

I have been thinking about this... I have some theories. If I have some time this week, I blog some stuff up.

1. As it was last year, I think teams get stuck on what to stop. MSU is a hot mess if you want to look at them from a offensive philosophy and I think it defies some logic on how to defend them. They have a great scheme and it works, but I think it requires a bit of a different brain on how to defend. I don't like spying unless your defensive scheme allows you to play 10 on 11. There aren't many offensive schemes that can allow you to get away with it. If the team runs delay draws or scramble results then you can work a scheme to allow a LB to spy. But if it is in the directional action of a play, you are asking your team to execute something that is tactically insane.

There is a habit to over pursue to the edge and into space. A lot of Andersen's big runs aren't because of design, but rather teams get so hyper to the edge that you lose lane angles. Andersen like Murray might be their best runner and he is faster and stronger than you'd might expect out of a quarterback. Have seen a lot of cut ups, and one of the commonalities is much of his big runs are brutal angles by force and secondary pursuit guys. Sometimes you don't think the QB has the type of speed and your angle is too flat.

2. I think you from a DC perspective, is to use the existing scheme you have to your advantage. I prefer a box mentality, because I like making it difficult for teams to block the END. This scheme Baer has lends to it, rather than a flow and scrape mentality. Plus with the plus speed on the perimeter with Buss and Sandry, and good down hill flow the two safeties that allow you to take some risks between the tackles by creating a bit larger lane because you can choose to flex your DE's out a bit. The risk obviously is allowing Ifanse to have a big day, but I think that is easier to handle than if you allow Andersen to have free space on the edge. I just prefer to make the reads as similar as to what you would have in a normal scheme. A box philosophy lends to that.

3. Lastly, I think it is important to understand that this defense is very well suited within its base scheme to handle the structure of MSU's offense. I don't think it needs to be contrived, regardless of what they choose to do. Choate alluded to that in his Press Conference today. Maybe he was being overly complimentary, but I do believe teh scheme fits well to handling the unique elements of MSU's offense.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
          1. Stop Troy Anderson
          2. No turnovers

The cats cannot score without Anderson, put 3 spies on him and let somebody else score 5 TDs before you change that philosophy. Just like Murray stop him stop the cats............psssst Anderson is gonna get the ball 30 times on Saturday!

/endthread
          I'm not so sure I have the confidence in the defensive backfield to consistently take the right angles to keep #1 from happening. I also don't trust our offense to play consistently enough to keep #2 from happening. I feel like I'll spend the whole game just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'd love to see the Griz kick ass, but it'll probably be a close game.

Comment

Well one thing is for sure Robby Hauck will be fucking trashed again by WRs and his lack of ability to get where he needs to be since hes slow, weak and not a DI player.

Its so bad its almost funny watching him get beat like a 3 legged mule.

Comment

Why are you against spying, 24? It is a VERY effective strategy against a QB like Anderson. I would have Robertson playing up on first down, and have a LB spying Anderson. Invite him to pass the ball on first down. If he is not successful, it will be second and ten....... not a very favorable scenario from making a first down. He might complete a couple of them.... but how often? I love our chances if we can keep the Cat offense at 2nd-and-ten a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
                Well one thing is for sure Robby Hauck will be fucking trashed again by WRs and his lack of ability to get where he needs to be since hes slow, weak and not a DI player.

Its so bad its almost funny watching him get beat like a 3 legged mule.
                I attended the SUU game, and watched the Idaho game on TV. Hauck does indeed take poor angles on tackles, and gets beaten frequently by WRs. But he also is a walking PF penalty..... always chirping to the opponents. He ain't Tim Hauck, but thinks he is. What is the over/under for Robby getting a PF in the Griz/Cat game? I say he gets one.
                Last edited by growler; 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post

I attended the SUU game, and watched the Idaho game on TV. Hauck does indeed take poor angles on tackles, and gets beaten frequently by WRs. But he also is a walking PF penalty..... always chirping to the opponents. He ain't Tim Hauck, but thinks he is. What is the over/under for Robby getting a PF in the Griz/Cat game? I say he gets one.
                  I have said this all year, Hauck is very slow, extremely weak and that accounts for a lot of his late hits, he is simply too slow to get where he needs to be. If he wasnt playing for his dad he wouldnt even be on a Montana team hes not a D1 talent. I could easily see him getting 2 PFs this game both coming from being out of position and hitting late.

We have been talking all week about Anderson trucking him if Hauck even gets into position to try and tackle him, most of the time Anderson will just run right by him and Hauck doesnt have to foot speed to catch anyone they have on offense.

Comment

Working...
                  X