Week #5 in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week #5 in Review

I wanted to be more consistent with this stuff, but life has a funny way of getting your way.

I am not going to get much into ranking this week, but right now here is my top #3:

1. Weber State
    2. Montana
    3. Montana State

Some observations on the weekend.
    Montana State may well be a “2nd Half Team” but they look at times like a team that’ll finish in the bottom half of the conference. They have all the feel of some of the UM teams from the late 90’s and early 2000’s when teams who had outplayed them for 30-45 minutes, just collapsed. They aren’t really as good as you think you are, nor when it matters are they really that bad. I just know less about MSU at this point than just about any team in conference, minus WSU, and we might well not know anything about MSU until Cat-Griz.

I say that Earnest Collins is on his way out, and then they find a way to beat Idaho. Part of it is Idaho being Idaho. Again Idaho looked flat out putrid again, in the same way they looked against Central Washington and not at all the way they looked against Wyoming and Eastern Washington.

We’ll know more about WSU in coming weeks, whose out of conference schedule looked formidable, doesn’t have a ‘significant’ conference game until late October when they play Davis. The next weeks has them playing Idaho, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Maybe Idaho gives them a run, but frankly who really knows what Idaho team shows up from one week to the next. As it stands for me though, it is hard for me not to look at their body of work to date and still infer they are the class of the conference.

Offensive Player of the Year:
    1. Dalton Sneed- He had a great game on Saturday when Montana needed it. Montana might have the most balanced offense in the conference and they are going to be difficult to stop when Sneed is at his best.
    2. Eric Barrier- He looked positively putrid against Idaho, but in last weeks win (albeit on the road at UND) he looked the part of the player that was one of the most dynamic players in the conference last week.
    3. Case Cookus- He was my CPOY dark horse at the beginning of the year. Their meltdown had little to do with his performance, and in the first half he showed the type of composure you’d expect of a 6th year senior.

— Best of the Rest:
    Jeff Cotton, Kevin Thomson, and Antoine Custer Jr.

This might be the strangest beginning to a conference season in years. I still don’t have a lot of confidence in Eastern Washington and until they play more consistently, it is going to be hard to give them the type of credit they might deserve. The conference needs to figure out how to get some schedule balance, because the BSC is going to continue to produce teams that are closer to pretenders than they are contenders. If you want to increase your national profile as a conference, it is hard to do that when teams have such unbalanced schedules.

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
    I wanted to be more consistent with this stuff, but life has a funny way of getting your way.

I am not going to get much into ranking this week, but right now here is my top #3:

1. Weber State
    2. Montana
    3. Montana State

Some observations on the weekend.
    Montana State may well be a “2nd Half Team” but they look at times like a team that’ll finish in the bottom half of the conference. They have all the feel of some of the UM teams from the late 90’s and early 2000’s when teams who had outplayed them for 30-45 minutes, just collapsed. They aren’t really as good as you think you are, nor when it matters are they really that bad. I just know less about MSU at this point than just about any team in conference, minus WSU, and we might well not know anything about MSU until Cat-Griz.

I say that Earnest Collins is on his way out, and then they find a way to beat Idaho. Part of it is Idaho being Idaho. Again Idaho looked flat out putrid again, in the same way they looked against Central Washington and not at all the way they looked against Wyoming and Eastern Washington.

We’ll know more about WSU in coming weeks, whose out of conference schedule looked formidable, doesn’t have a ‘significant’ conference game until late October when they play Davis. The next weeks has them playing Idaho, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Maybe Idaho gives them a run, but frankly who really knows what Idaho team shows up from one week to the next. As it stands for me though, it is hard for me not to look at their body of work to date and still infer they are the class of the conference.

Offensive Player of the Year:
    1. Dalton Sneed- He had a great game on Saturday when Montana needed it. Montana might have the most balanced offense in the conference and they are going to be difficult to stop when Sneed is at his best.
    2. Eric Barrier- He looked positively putrid against Idaho, but in last weeks win (albeit on the road at UND) he looked the part of the player that was one of the most dynamic players in the conference last week.
    3. Case Cookus- He was my CPOY dark horse at the beginning of the year. Their meltdown had little to do with his performance, and in the first half he showed the type of composure you’d expect of a 6th year senior.

— Best of the Rest:
    Jeff Cotton, Kevin Thomson, and Antoine Custer Jr.

This might be the strangest beginning to a conference season in years. I still don’t have a lot of confidence in Eastern Washington and until they play more consistently, it is going to be hard to give them the type of credit they might deserve. The conference needs to figure out how to get some schedule balance, because the BSC is going to continue to produce teams that are closer to pretenders than they are contenders. If you want to increase your national profile as a conference, it is hard to do that when teams have such unbalanced schedules.
    Great review!

Comment

Working...
    X