A Little FCS Perspective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little FCS Perspective

When you think about how Montana cannot even make the playoffs anymore, there are other schools that can build a team from scratch in 3 years and make deep runs into the playoffs. This is a culture thing and Montana doesn't have it anymore. Money and facilities are nice but they are not needed if you have the right culture and mental toughness. Montana fans are being lied to like voters from a politician. We don't have the leadership in the athletic department to get us back to where we want to go. Mr Bodnar is the only thing this university has going for it, hopefully he drains the swamp and gets the right people beneath him that can be competent.

It will not surprise me if KSO makes the semi finals next year with a senior laden team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennes..._Owls_football

Personally I do not think Montana is as far off as some fans believe. If Kennesaw State can start a football program and make the playoffs in three years there is no reason Montana cannot turn it around in one or two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
      Personally I do not think Montana is as far off as some fans believe. If Kennesaw State can start a football program and make the playoffs in three years there is no reason Montana cannot turn it around in one or two seasons.
      Having lived in Atlanta for 11 years, there is a huge advantage that Southeast FCS schools have in recruiting. The state of Georgia is now ranked #4 four behind only Florida, Texas, and California in producing Division I football talent. This fact is how Georgia Southern was able to build such dominating teams in the 80s and early 90s. then, other area FBS teams started mining the state for talent, including App. State, Wofford, and Furman. Now, these Atlanta kids who previously had to leave home to play can stay in the Atlanta area and play for Kennesaw State. I think KSU will remain a national power for many years because of this. There are SO MANY talented football players in the Atlanta area!

Comment

Interesting, I have never heard that about Georgia but there is some good football there over the years so it makes sense

Comment

Well really, there isn't a lot of competition for talent in-state for Georgia athletics.. it's the Bulldogs and then some group of five schools and FCS schools. Georgia Tech has super high admissions standards, so they can't quite recruit the same caliber of players as the Dogs. Interesting dynamic, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTitleist View Post
            Well really, there isn't a lot of competition for talent in-state for Georgia athletics.. it's the Bulldogs and then some group of five schools and FCS schools. Georgia Tech has super high admissions standards, so they can't quite recruit the same caliber of players as the Dogs. Interesting dynamic, for sure.
            There were 6 five-star football recruits in Georgia this past recruiting year, based upon Rivals evaluations. There are 5 of them again for next season. California only had 4 last season.

All of the high-flying FBS programs recruit Georgia hard now, including Michigan, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post

There were 6 five-star football recruits in Georgia this past recruiting year, based upon Rivals evaluations. There are 5 of them again for next season. California only had 4 last season.

All of the high-flying FBS programs recruit Georgia hard now, including Michigan, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Ohio State.

Bama, Georgia and Louisiana I would bet produce more top talent than California and TX combined. LOTS of unmined talent roaming around there, hence why the Big Ten held satellite camps down there whenever possible.

Comment

That might be true about top talent, but the depth of high school football here (especially in Southern California) is incredible. The problem is while it is deep, the quality of play is brutal because so much of the top end talent is so centralized into maybe a dozen programs in a given region. To use as an example, the San Diego open section which includes only 8 teams in any given year, is in reality only about four deep. The rest are really pretenders, or good on a one year basis. Helix, Cathedral Catholic, Madison and Mission Hills have been the constants in the open division format since they created more divisions in 2015.

There are some absolutely horrid football teams down here, but with some great individual talent. Difficult to see the talent when you are getting flogged by someone Iike Helix 52-0. I would expect both Bobby and Justin to have a good pulse on it, and I wouldn't pay attention as much to the school or pedigree of that school when you are diving into second, third or fourth tier schools both here and in LA.

High School football is absurd in the south, well beyond any sensible standard, with ton of investment by parents and schools in what has become an arms race. Georgia football has deepened, largely because of the absurd growth in Atlanta suburbs, and FBS schools have figured it out. Remember there are nearly a dozen FBS power 5 schools within a 3-5 hour drive of Atlanta (Clemson, USC, Tennessee, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State are all within that window. Didn't take long to mine Atlanta talent 15 20 years ago, but again with that rapid growth it makes sense as an area to focus recruiting on. Or so I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
                  That might be true about top talent, but the depth of high school football here (especially in Southern California) is incredible. The problem is while it is deep, the quality of play is brutal because so much of the top end talent is so centralized into maybe a dozen programs in a given region. To use as an example, the San Diego open section which includes only 8 teams in any given year, is in reality only about four deep. The rest are really pretenders, or good on a one year basis. Helix, Cathedral Catholic, Madison and Mission Hills have been the constants in the open division format since they created more divisions in 2015.

There are some absolutely horrid football teams down here, but with some great individual talent. Difficult to see the talent when you are getting flogged by someone Iike Helix 52-0. I would expect both Bobby and Justin to have a good pulse on it, and I wouldn't pay attention as much to the school or pedigree of that school when you are diving into second, third or fourth tier schools both here and in LA.

High School football is absurd in the south, well beyond any sensible standard, with ton of investment by parents and schools in what has become an arms race. Georgia football has deepened, largely because of the absurd growth in Atlanta suburbs, and FBS schools have figured it out. Remember there are nearly a dozen FBS power 5 schools within a 3-5 hour drive of Atlanta (Clemson, USC, Tennessee, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State are all within that window. Didn't take long to mine Atlanta talent 15 20 years ago, but again with that rapid growth it makes sense as an area to focus recruiting on. Or so I have been told.
                  Georgia has 30% of the population of California, but produces nearly as many Division I football players.

Comment

The saying in So Cal is that every HS Football Team has at least one potential FBS recruit. Think about that for minute....
                    Last edited by CV Griz Fan; 01-18-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CV Griz Fan View Post
                      The saying in So Cal is that every HS Football Team has at least one potential FBS recruit. Think about that for minute....
                      The greater Atlanta area produces more FBS caliber players than the Los Angeles area according to Rivals. Just sayin. ' Popluation of California is 39.5 million.... population of Georgia is 10.3 million. 4 times as any people, yet Georgia produces as many 4 and 5 star players (actually MORE 4 and 5 star players the past two seasons).

Comment

When Pete Carroll was at USC and they were drafting 10-11 players in to the NFL, an entire offense or defensive squad, I thought USC was the unofficial NFL franchise in the Los Angeles market .

Comment

California high school football is not what it used to be. Relative to the huge population in CA, they should produce way more 4 and 5 star athletes than they do. The South is now the hotbed for football talent, which is why USC is now recruiting the South heavily.

Comment

Working...
                          X