Griz DC position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griz DC position

What do you guys think about the Kent Baer hire?

Is this a "safe" hire or is he really the best guy for the job? I keep talking my self back and forth on the pros and cons of Baer but am still in the middle on it. One thing I do know is Hauck needs to address the low talent level on the returning defense and get some DB help so we can be loaded for Baer.

From what I have read about the guy, I am of mixed opinion as well. Certainly brings a level of experience to the staff. Wasn't impressed by one article that talked about his high risk tactics. Think that is what we have had. Going to trust that Bobby got his guy and his expectation.

Comment

I'm not sure what to think honestly, will be interesting to see how this season plays out. I have to say, I'm pretty damn excited with the guys coming in, as well as the leadership now in place.

Comment

I think that Bobby's statement in the KGVO interview about the lack of consistency and intensity was dead on target. Think we all at times had flashes the last three years of good things, only to see it vanish the next series, quarter or game. I think the point is that an average talent will beat superior talent if they play with consistency, precision and intensity. Biggest key is can Bobby get the players to buy into the persona of Grizzly football that was here ten years ago.

Comment

I think Baer will bring much needed experience and stability to the position. What are the chances he could be worse than Semore?

Comment

What defense does this DC use? 4-3 like last time Hauck was here?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Grizfan View Post
              What defense does this DC use? 4-3 like last time Hauck was here?
              From what I remember, Baer runs a 4-3. I’ve given my opinion on why I believe, given the offenses we face in the BSC, that’s retarded several times on this forum but it seems to be the “gold standard”. Apparently D coordinators like putting their LB’s in bad situations and than watching them get burnt. But no ones paying me to coach so....

Comment

I like this hire. This guy has a wealth of experience in the big-time. We need his experience. Hauck would not have hired him if he did not believe in his ability. Not sure he has much to work with in 2018 however, until Bobby recruits better talent.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                  I like this hire. This guy has a wealth of experience in the big-time. We need his experience. Hauck would not have hired him if he did not believe in his ability. Not sure he has much to work with in 2018 however, until Bobby recruits better talent.
                  I like his experience. His firings are little troubling but I’ll trust Haucks judgement

Comment

Originally posted by Robgriz View Post

From what I remember, Baer runs a 4-3. I’ve given my opinion on why I believe, given the offenses we face in the BSC, that’s retarded several times on this forum but it seems to be the “gold standard”. Apparently D coordinators like putting their LB’s in bad situations and than watching them get burnt. But no ones paying me to coach so....
                    I have to agree with this, we need to have a flexible defense with the conference we are in. No reason to have a defense that is built for defending the run unless we are playing Cal Poly.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Griz View Post
                      I think Baer will bring much needed experience and stability to the position. What are the chances he could be worse than Semore?
                      High, actually. I posted this over on eGriz a few weeks ago. I made one mistake, two of Paulsen's years at UNLV were actually Tim Hauck's.

Comment

At first I thought this was a bit out of left field, then I believe I heard a radio interview (or maybe read an article) that Hauck tried 2 other times to get Baer to be his DC when he last coached the Griz. Baer was...not good in the time I remember seeing him be the DC for UW - though everything attached to the Paint Dry Ty Willingham era was a dumpster fire. Yeah, the 4-3 in this conference would tend to put your LB's in bad spots, but the last time Hauck coached here, the D was a 4-3 cover 2 base (if I'm remembering correctly) - that was mostly predicated on making teams dink and dunk their way down the field. The idea being, the more plays you make college kids have to make on offense, the higher propensity there will be for mistakes (which also is strange, because wouldn't that mean more chances for your college kids on D to make mistakes as well?) - as long as you can lock down in the redzone. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few games there is the Kraig Paulson fury going on with Baer as DC.

Comment

Everybody needs to relax and let this guy have a chance before we crucify him.

Comment

You can still give the guy a chance and point out his D's have been pretty sub-standard the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by MissoulaMarinerFan View Post
                              You can still give the guy a chance and point out his D's have been pretty sub-standard the last few years.
                              Maybe you should talk to Bobby about your concerns. I'm sure he would relish your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X