Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New DL commit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New DL commit

    Alex Gubner, 6'3" 295# out of Calabasas CA. Good Hudl tape, not sure how to post it. Fast for his size, looks to have good play recognition, gets off blocks well. Needs to work on staying low off the snap, but with a little coaching could end up being a steal. he is a 3* DL prospect.

  • #2
    His tape shows surprising quickness for a big man. Looks very promising.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by glendivegriz View Post
      His tape shows surprising quickness for a big man. Looks very promising.
      Agreed, good speed and takes good pursuit angles as well. If he can stay low, may be a force, already has the requisite size-would like to see what a couple years in the S&C program does for his hand fighting and bull rushing capabilities.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree. He needs to stay lower initially. Shows a good motor. More strength and more weight, he may be the new pot roast.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not trying to belittle or downplay this kid, but I am a member of Rivals, and he is a "no stars" player according to them, and Montana was his only offer from an FBS or FCS school, according to Rivals. Again, not saying he is not a great player. Just noting that Rivals does not have any stars for him. Don't know about his supposed "3 stars" rating on Scout, since I am not a member of that site.

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't think the stars thing really makes huge difference in most cases. Realty companies and car washes are full of 4 and 5 star athletes. Thing I noticed was he looked solid if 295 is true weight. Not a huge Billy Bob belly. Think that bodes well. As with any class, attrition strikes a good number of them. I am hoping that with the size, we will get more physical. Thought Bobby's comment on the little he watched of 2017 was telling in that there was a lack of consistency and intensity.

            Comment


            • #7
              He is a 3 star via Scout and also 247. Growler, didn't you used to put most the stock In Scout in the past? Also he had an offer from Stephen F Austin

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hookedongriz View Post
                He is a 3 star via Scout and also 247. Growler, didn't you used to put most the stock In Scout in the past? Also he had an offer from Stephen F Austin
                No, I think Rivals is by far the most accurate recruiting site in the nation, which is why I have been a member for many years. I do think that Rivals tends to have an Eastern bias, and does a better job evaluating talent East of the Mississippi. Even if he also had one other FCS offer, that is not the norm for a 3-star player. Most 2-star players have multiple FCS offers, as well as a few FBS offers from second-tier schools like Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, and Utah State. A legit 3-star athlete would have multiple FBS offers. Just sayin'.

                I remember everybody gushing when we signed Rey Green, who was supposedly a Scout 3-star RB. Rivals gave him zero stars...... and he has been a bust so far here. I guess they were right and Scout was wrong, huh?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not sure if any of the ratings services mean a whole lot in general. Now for the bigger schools, the more 4 and 5* guys they can stack up, the better potential there is for them to realize their potential due to the raw physical skills. That being said, my Hawkeyes have turned many walk on's into All NFL/All American caliber players. There does have to be some sort of inherent potential in the player, and it takes good coaching + a great S&C program to see that potential come to fruition of course. I believe in Bobby's penchant for finding talent that may have been overlooked by others, and is a good sign to me that he is getting guys from outside of the Montana footprint to supplement the in state guys

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes, Iowa has down a great job of developing players with fewer than 3-stars from the recruiting services. I just hate hyperbole laid-out by Griz fans about some of our recruits being "3-stars" when they don't have a single offer from an FBS school. One thing I know for certain from being a Rivals member for 15 years........... there has never been a 3-star recruit, to my knowledge, that didn't have multiple FBS offers.
                    Last edited by growler; 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by growler View Post
                      Yes, Iowa has down a great job of developing players with fewer than 3-stars from the recruiting services. I just hate hyperbole laid-out by Griz fans about some of our recruits being "3-stars" when they don't have a single offer from an FBS school. One thing I know for certain from being a Rivals member for 15 years........... there has never been a 3-star recruit, to my knowledge, that disn't have multiple FBS offers.
                      I didn't know he didn't have any other offers, wonder what that's about?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by growler View Post

                        No, I think Rivals is by far the most accurate recruiting site in the nation, which is why I have been a member for many years. I do think that Rivals tends to have an Eastern bias, and does a better job evaluating talent East of the Mississippi. Even if he also had one other FCS offer, that is not the norm for a 3-star player. Most 2-star players have multiple FCS offers, as well as a few FBS offers from second-tier schools like Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, and Utah State. A legit 3-star athlete would have multiple FBS offers. Just sayin'.

                        I remember everybody gushing when we signed Rey Green, who was supposedly a Scout 3-star RB. Rivals gave him zero stars...... and he has been a bust so far here. I guess they were right and Scout was wrong, huh?
                        I’m not sure how Green will pan out but I think calling a kid that redshirted and then had season ending injury before the following season a “bust” is a tad premature. Also, Rey was a 2 star recruit on Rivals. You are right though, he didn’t get many looks. Just us and little brother. Not even ewho

                        https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...ey-green-12415
                        Last edited by Robgriz; 02-01-2018, 08:45 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Robgriz View Post

                          I’m not sure how Green will pan out but I think calling a kid that redshirted and then had season ending injury before the following season a “bust” is a tad premature. Also, Rey was a 2 star recruit on Rivals. You are right though, he didn’t get many looks. Just us and little brother. Not even ewho

                          https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...ey-green-12415
                          Guess you are right about Green being a 2-star Rivals recruit. From what I have heard, he will never start here. To me, for a 2-star FCS kid, that is a bust.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X