Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring game

Anybody here attending?

I won't be able to make anything until my wife and I move back to Montana.

I'm really interested to see what kind of defense we trot out. Rumblings of a 4-2-5, which is interesting. Need better players in the secondary to make that work, no question about it. May actually be smart to run a 4-2-5 however, and have the 5th "dback" function more as a LB/Safety hybrid who still acts like a LB, essentially putting us back in a 4-3 but with a little more speed....Robby's position maybe?

Originally posted by Hawkeyebowhunter View Post
    Anybody here attending?

I won't be able to make anything until my wife and I move back to Montana.

I'm really interested to see what kind of defense we trot out. Rumblings of a 4-2-5, which is interesting. Need better players in the secondary to make that work, no question about it. May actually be smart to run a 4-2-5 however, and have the 5th "dback" function more as a LB/Safety hybrid who still acts like a LB, essentially putting us back in a 4-3 but with a little more speed....Robby's position maybe?
    It’s Rocky Long’s concept. It’s actually designed for undermanned defenses to be able to compete. It’s an interesting move for sure....

Comment

If a person were to hypothesize (because I have heard varying rumors) the move from a 4-3 base look, the 4-2-5 would provide the easiest and maybe the more seamless transition than a 3-5-3 or 3-3-5. The personnel system for a 3-3-5 requires some personnel with some particular set of skills that differentiates it significantly from the 3-4 or the 4-2-5. It is night and day different than the 4-3. The 3-3-5 and a few variations is what Rocky has been running at SDSU for the past few years. There aren't many big college programs that have stuck with it, in part because of some unique positional requirements and a need to engage in a complete paradigm shift and mentality from coordinators. The move to a 4-3 to a true 3-3-5 would be a radical, but not unprecedented move, but radical nonetheless. If it is a 3-3-5 and not a 4-2-5, prepare to throw out your assumptions how defenses should behave. I have ran both (4-2-5 the the 3-3-5) and they aren't the least bit similar schematically in fronts, stunts and coverages. Id be interested to see what exactly the program decides to do.

Comment

Working...
      X