Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarterback Competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quarterback Competition

    Over the weekend I had the opportunity to talk to an old friend from college that is currently on staff at UM. He had some very interesting comments about the QB situation between Sneed and Jensen.

    One QB on the roster is comfortable under center and the other is not. One has the footwork down and the other is trying to catch up. Both demonstrate high football IQs but one is leading the other because of familiarity with the system under Rosenbach. The most brazen comment was that "he already has his guy" for the start of fall camp and very possibly the season opener. The comments were not surprising when you look at the poor OL and talent we have there, we need a very mobile QB to run for his life all season.

    Coach said that they are in it for the long haul and this is gonna take awhile to fill positions and get the talent back up to what Montana considers normal.

    The beer we drank at the Kettlehouse was not as good as I had heard.
    Hauck 2008 after beating the Bobcats, "I wish there were 5 qtrs in this game so we could kick their ass some more"

  • #2
    I think you are confirming what I have been thinking all along. Bob Stitt was a terrible hire, He was nothing more than a 0.500 career Division II coach who was over-his-head at the FCS level. He was not used to recruiting FCS caliber kids, and it showed. The fact that so many Griz fans gave him a free pass, to the extent of wanting his contract renewed, shows just how clueless so many Griz fans are about the game of football....... on par with those who wanted to re-hire Don Holst. I preached like a one-armed evangelical about how bad Bob Stitt was, and so many slammed me for doing so. I was correct all along about Bubble Screen Bob, and it will be a painful trip for Griz Nation until we can get back to where we used to be for so many years.
    Last edited by growler; 04-03-2018, 09:59 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GRIZNATION View Post
      Over the weekend I had the opportunity to talk to an old friend from college that is currently on staff at UM. He had some very interesting comments about the QB situation between Sneed and Jensen.

      One QB on the roster is comfortable under center and the other is not. One has the footwork down and the other is trying to catch up. Both demonstrate high football IQs but one is leading the other because of familiarity with the system under Rosenbach. The most brazen comment was that "he already has his guy" for the start of fall camp and very possibly the season opener. The comments were not surprising when you look at the poor OL and talent we have there, we need a very mobile QB to run for his life all season.

      Coach said that they are in it for the long haul and this is gonna take awhile to fill positions and get the talent back up to what Montana considers normal.

      The beer we drank at the Kettlehouse was not as good as I had heard.
      Some will not be comfortable with your comments...



      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CV Griz Fan View Post

        Some will not be comfortable with your comments...


        The truth will set one free.........

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by growler View Post

          The truth will set one free.........
          I was mostly referring to the QB comments. I totally agree with the talent level assessments but it’s the Griz fan base and their overall belief that GJ is some kind of a lock to start that has me somewhat amused....
          Last edited by CV Griz Fan; 04-03-2018, 11:55 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CV Griz Fan View Post

            I was mostly referring to the QB comments. I totally agree with the talent level assessments but it’s the Griz fan base and their overall belief that GJ is some kind of a lock to start that has me somewhat amused....
            What they seem to forget is that GJ could not even win the starting QB job last season. He has never been a "sure thing" waiting in the wings for his chance to start. In fact, many, including me, felt that he would never be the answer at QB. Did he look great at times last season? Yep. But, in Stitt's pin ball passing offense, it was relatively easy to put up some big passing numbers. The Stitt offense masks many things which makes a QB great, and which might not translate to Hauck's offense. Just my opinion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Two comments:
              1. I just don't think the under-center issue is going to play out the way some do. I would be surprised based upon what I have been told, that we would be seeing significant amounts of under center play. I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think we are going to see the type of offense that was the center of Bobby ball during the 00's. That is not only from Bobby's mouth, but looking at how Rosy likes his offense and the current personnel reads.

              2. Pretty easy to shit on Stitt. I don't think, and again this is my understanding, the talent issues that like to be bantered around are as much of a problem as some would like to think. Been told that Jensen is a real talent, but so is Sneed. Whomever is the QB, especially if it Sneed, I don't think it is as much about Stitt or Jensen and about what Sneed has done since he walked in the door.

              Comment


              • #8
                Neither QB will do much with this OL and lack of a running game. It all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
                  Two comments:
                  1. I just don't think the under-center issue is going to play out the way some do. I would be surprised based upon what I have been told, that we would be seeing significant amounts of under center play. I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think we are going to see the type of offense that was the center of Bobby ball during the 00's. That is not only from Bobby's mouth, but looking at how Rosy likes his offense and the current personnel reads.

                  2. Pretty easy to shit on Stitt. I don't think, and again this is my understanding, the talent issues that like to be bantered around are as much of a problem as some would like to think. Been told that Jensen is a real talent, but so is Sneed. Whomever is the QB, especially if it Sneed, I don't think it is as much about Stitt or Jensen and about what Sneed has done since he walked in the door.
                  Yeah, it is VERY easy to shit on Stitt, and he deserves EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT! I think the answers Hauck gave in his interview says it all....... lots of holes, lack of depth, and the necessity to move players around. If you don't understand the lack of talent and depth that Bobby Hauck has inherited, then you live in an alternative universe! I don't know where you are getting your "understanding" from, but I assure you that the Griz coaching staff is acutely aware of these problems.
                  Last edited by growler; 04-03-2018, 10:38 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Gresch played well in that offense for a freshman, hard to deny that.

                    That offense however is predicated on putting up 400+ ypg. Did that most of the season, yet still finished w/7 wins. Offense put up video game esque #'s, yet I can't think of one team with half a decent defense that would have been worried to play the Griz had we actually made it to the playoffs.

                    I'm really hoping that BH is lowballing everyone, trying to set our expectations low in regards to the talent level he inherited (however I fear that he is being truthful).

                    We all need to be hoping for miraculous health along the LOS this year on both sides, and that the paper tigers stitthead recruited really are as good as they had been hyped up to be by the realtor.

                    I'm interested to see what that transfer from Arizona looks like lining up in the secondary. looks like he can bring the hammer.

                    Whats the over/under on 7 dropdowns coming this summer?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'll take the under. Not sure Bobby can find 7 or more drop-downs worthy of signing. My take is that Bobby wants a drop-down to be good enough to start, or at minimum be a first-level sub who sees the field plenty.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey guys... Dalton Sneed can ball. He's big time.

                        I'd be shocked if he isn't the starter going into fall camp.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Grizfan-24 View Post
                          Two comments:
                          1. I just don't think the under-center issue is going to play out the way some do. I would be surprised based upon what I have been told, that we would be seeing significant amounts of under center play. I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think we are going to see the type of offense that was the center of Bobby ball during the 00's. That is not only from Bobby's mouth, but looking at how Rosy likes his offense and the current personnel reads.

                          2. Pretty easy to shit on Stitt. I don't think, and again this is my understanding, the talent issues that like to be bantered around are as much of a problem as some would like to think. Been told that Jensen is a real talent, but so is Sneed. Whomever is the QB, especially if it Sneed, I don't think it is as much about Stitt or Jensen and about what Sneed has done since he walked in the door.
                          1. You're right. Probably won't see a lot of under center, but in short yardage situations...You know Hauck will go traditional.

                          2. Yes, very easy to shit on Stitt because the guy was a total joke. I said (loudly) from the day his name was mentioned that he would be a terrible fit at Montana. I was right. Haslam should have been fired right along with Stitt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hawkeyebowhunter View Post
                            Gresch played well in that offense for a freshman, hard to deny that.

                            That offense however is predicated on putting up 400+ ypg. Did that most of the season, yet still finished w/7 wins. Offense put up video game esque #'s, yet I can't think of one team with half a decent defense that would have been worried to play the Griz had we actually made it to the playoffs.

                            I'm really hoping that BH is lowballing everyone, trying to set our expectations low in regards to the talent level he inherited (however I fear that he is being truthful).

                            We all need to be hoping for miraculous health along the LOS this year on both sides, and that the paper tigers stitthead recruited really are as good as they had been hyped up to be by the realtor.

                            I'm interested to see what that transfer from Arizona looks like lining up in the secondary. looks like he can bring the hammer.

                            Whats the over/under on 7 dropdowns coming this summer?
                            He looks like a LB.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by griz5700 View Post

                              He looks like a LB.
                              Has the body like one, but looks like he can run as well. Let's hope he can shore up the secondary for us.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X