No announcement yet.

How Talented Is The Current Griz Team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Talented Is The Current Griz Team?

There seems to be a huge gap in opinions by Griz Nation on how much talent returns this year on our roster. Some, like AZ, think that we have plenty on great players. Many others think that Hauck inherited a roster filled with holes and lacking depth. I think the answer should be very obvious to anyone who understands the talent level we used to put on the field, and the level we have put on the field the past few years, and what Bobby has inherited.

First, take a look at how the opposing Big Sky coaches think about our players. If you have developed amnesia about our teams from the late 90's until Bobby left, I should remind you that Griz players DOMINATED the All-Big Sky 1st and 2nd teams in those years, as evaluated by the opposing coaches. Last year, and for several years now, one had to look hard to find Griz players on the 1st team (we had ONE last year), and not even many on the second team! These player evaluations of our talent level by opposing coaches should tell you all you need to know. These aren't biased Griz fans, but rather coaches who play against kids from all of the Sky teams, and then pick the best players to honor.

Next, look at the difference in the number of Griz players from the past 5-6 years who have either been drafted by the NFL, or signed as free agents. There were years in the past where 6,7, 8 seniors signed either NFL or CFL contracts. Compare those years to the recent past. And, are there any current Griz seniors (other than Buss) good enough to sign with a professional team? I can't think of any, can you?

Finally, what about the depth of talent on the roster now......... outside of a bunch of hype from the sugar-coaters about our great stable of young talent, give the names of younger players (outside of a couple of WRs) who have played enough snaps, either as starters or key subs, to have you predict that they are going to be All-Conference caliber players in time? We used to have several sophomores each year who were good enough to start, especially on defense, and who we knew would be studs before they graduated. Are there any on this team on defense?

Bobby Hauck has indicated that our roster has plenty of holes. Those of you expecting Bobby to perform miracles with this roster are going to be sadly-disappointed. No matter how good a head coach is, it ultimately comes down to the players........ and the talent level throughout the roster just isn't there!
    Last edited by growler; 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM.

I think that is a fair assessment. I would only offer that I don't believe we know about the true ceiling of some of the players as they don't seem coached up. I think many have agreed that the lack of fundamentals and discipline indicates that we really have a difficult time determining what potential is left in the program. It is obvious that there are glaring wholes in the make up of the roster however.

Comment

Originally posted by glendivegriz View Post
      I think that is a fair assessment. I would only offer that I don't believe we know about the true ceiling of some of the players as they don't seem coached up. I think many have agreed that the lack of fundamentals and discipline indicates that we really have a difficult time determining what potential is left in the program. It is obvious that there are glaring wholes in the make up of the roster however.
      I totally agree with this. I have, at different times, believed we lack any real talent or that the talent was there but not developed. I actually think I’m right in both cases. I think we have some talent but as Growler pointed out, the depth that we once had is not there and there are definitely some talent gaps. That said the talent that we did have sure should’ve been a bit better than raw. Just my $.02

Comment

I thought pussy Growler was quitting the site like Jensen quit the team....typical

On a scale of 1-10 this years Griz team is about a 4 when it comes to talent. Buss, Sims, Favoroso, Toure and Williams are the only players that have showed ANYTHING on the field. Of those names only Buss is an elite talent. (on this team, not the rest of the FCS)

The rest of the players are pure speculation but I do like what I see from Welnel, Nash and Hauck. They have some upside but the rest of the players are average at best and are placeholders when any real talent comes in they will filter out.....just like Jensen did.

Players that Hauck might be able to get to step up their game would be Harris, Rodriguez, Lee, Eastwood and possibly Key. The rest are soft players with no mean streak and most of them wouldnt make the cats roster.................thats how bad it has become.

Comment

Talent wise, a grade of C......

Comment

You are still drunk from your trip if you grade them that high...........................

Comment

Yeah, but when did that stop me from doing something stupid.....

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAGRIZ1 View Post
                I thought pussy Growler was quitting the site like Jensen quit the team....typical

On a scale of 1-10 this years Griz team is about a 4 when it comes to talent. Buss, Sims, Favoroso, Toure and Williams are the only players that have showed ANYTHING on the field. Of those names only Buss is an elite talent. (on this team, not the rest of the FCS)

The rest of the players are pure speculation but I do like what I see from Welnel, Nash and Hauck. They have some upside but the rest of the players are average at best and are placeholders when any real talent comes in they will filter out.....just like Jensen did.

Players that Hauck might be able to get to step up their game would be Harris, Rodriguez, Lee, Eastwood and possibly Key. The rest are soft players with no mean streak and most of them wouldnt make the cats roster.................thats how bad it has become.
                You need to grow up......... I don't post for you, I post for people who can discuss the Griz in a mature manner without the 8th grade histrionics

Comment

Working...
                X