Scheme Changes and Personnel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheme Changes and Personnel

I am not going to write a blog on this, though I have in the past, but I wanted to bring up again for the purpose of discussion on how coaches look at scheme changes and personnel fits.

1. When there is a schematic shift the numbers of players who don’t fit somewhere in the new scheme are pretty small. There weren’t many unicorn players in Stitt’s scheme. Players that don’t have a role or a likely landing spot in the new scheme. Stitt did that with a few of the true TE’s and H backs that he wasn’t going to use when he took over in 2015. Those guys are unicorn players. There are some guys who are third string places or RS Freshman who are going to be asked to move to help build depth, but I really question the assumption that we are going to have wholesale movement. The move from H receiver to Y (TE) is a change in name only. Coaches won’t move players who don’t have a natural landing spot. So if you have a glut of WR’s, LB’s or whatever, most of those personnel aren’t moved because they are at the one position they can help the program.

2. Most scheme changes are not as dramatic as you would think. Most of the change is in verbiage but most of these players are going to find similarities on offense between Stitts system and Haucks system. Where there might have been a 25% commonality between Delaney’s and Stitt’s scheme, I would imagine you might push 50% or more depending on the scheme offensively. Offense staying within a spread scheme is going to help the transition. Defensively wise from my experience is where conflicting philosophies create issues. The changes might be subtle, that is not recognizable to the naked eye, and you’ll see players prosper and some flounder because of that change. Some people just get certain systems, and you make a couple subtle adjustments and they are oil and water. In part the reason is because you can memorize offense, and use prior skills. Defense on the other hand is a diagnostic and react position. I would imagine the biggest change will be at Linebacker and Safety. You might see some player movement after spring drills because of this.

3. Moving players: Offense, Defense and from one side of the ball to the other.

Offense: Obviously it is easier to move players within the group (IE H to Y) than it is move players out to a position. Over the years, I think coaches have better success building off common skills when moving players. There aren’t a tremendous amount of parallel skills on offense, so moving inside out or vertically on offense is difficult.

Defense: My preference on defense over the years is to move kids out to in (DE to DT, OLB to ILB, Corner to FS. Then if that doesn’t work then you move from further away to closer to the line. Moving players backwards and out is a difficult switch. Ie LB to SS, Safety to corner.

Between O and D: I think is hard for O specific guys who haven’t played a lot of D to make the switch. Corner is by far and away the most difficult switch to make followed by Safety. Vice versa I do think it is a bit easier to make the transition from D to O. Not because it is easier, because roles can be isolated and specific. Constraints can be controlled offensively. IE Moving from LB to fullback. You can put the player in a good environment succeed. That is much more difficult on Defense because is a diagnose and react system. Hard to move WR’s to corner, unless they have clear skills to play there. Hard to make them into a corner, that is why if you are moving into the secondary, it is easier to move WR’s to Free or slot cornerns than being isolated on the boundary.

I have found over the years moving RB’s to corner to be more successful than moving WR’s to CB. Feet, hips, gait and gravity.

Just thought I would offer some observations...

Thanks 24, enjoyed the insight there. You do good work.

Comment

Thank you. Now that I am not overwhelmed by life, I might be able to pen the occasional blog. I have a bunch of ideas in the queue. Just need the time to sit down get them done.

Comment

I agree thanks for all you do here, great post.

Comment

Working...
        X