Akoh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akoh

I realize this is a football site, but I am really excited about the Griz BB team. I have watched most of their games on Pluto, and wanted to make a couple of observations about Jamar Akoh. First, he is a man, and is the primary difference between last year's good team, and this year's great team. The dude can not be moved from the block once he gets the ball low. He overpowers the other bigs in the Big Sky. But, he misses WAY TOO MANY point-blank shots! His problem is that he shoots too quickly. He seems to think he needs to get the shot off as soon as he secures good shooting position. The result is that he is often off-balance and rushing his shot, causing misses. If he learns to be more patient before putting-it-up, and learns to use more head-fakes to get the defense in-the-air........ he will make more shots, as well as get more three-point opportunities.

Comments?

Originally posted by growler View Post
    I realize this is a football site, but I am really excited about the Griz BB team. I have watched most of their games on Pluto, and wanted to make a couple of observations about Jamar Akoh. First, he is a man, and is the primary difference between last year's good team, and this year's great team. The dude can not be moved from the block once he gets the ball low. He overpowers the other bigs in the Big Sky. But, he misses WAY TOO MANY point-blank shots! His problem is that he shoots too quickly. He seems to think he needs to get the shot off as soon as he secures good shooting position. The result is that he is often off-balance and rushing his shot, causing misses. If he learns to be more patient before putting-it-up, and learns to use more head-fakes to get the defense in-the-air........ he will make more shots, as well as get more three-point opportunities.

Comments?
    I know exactly shit about basketball but I’m enjoying watching them beat up on the BSC

Comment

They are a good team, but no longer beating up on BSC

Comment

Originally posted by spanky1 View Post
        They are a good team, but no longer beating up on BSC
        I still think they have the best overall talent in the BSC. However, they are not a great shooting team, tend to have key players get into early foul trouble too often. Not sure Travis is a very good strategy manager late in close games. They seem to lose way more than their share of close ones.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post

I still think they have the best overall talent in the BSC. However, they are not a great shooting team, tend to have key players get into early foul trouble too often. Not sure Travis is a very good strategy manager late in close games. They seem to lose way more than their share of close ones.
          Agreed - I posted this somewhere else, but it is pretty apt here as well:
          Raise your hand if you've heard this one:

- Griz play solid and scrappy and just keep hanging around and even take the lead a few times.

- Griz miss some free-throws here and there through the game and miss quite a few open looks, but in spite of all this, are still within striking distance.

- Griz have a chance to take the lead late, but instead of staying aggressive they begin holding the ball to milk clock instead of running their offense and aren't able to take the lead from a wild, contested shot late in the shot clock, or a turnover in the middle of the key. Spoiler, they don't take the lead.

- In spite of all this, they get a defensive stop and have a decent amount of time to get a shot off. Instead, they stall some more or turnover the ball trying to hurry up the court or take a shot.

- Another scenario is they hang onto the ball and get a shot but don't make it and get fouled. Hit a couple free throws, they can win. Spoiler, in some combination the freebies that are made or missed don't tie the game or give them the lead.

- The final scenario - they have an Okayish lead but aren't able to hit free throws down the stretch and fritter away a lead to a team that is making their free throws and not going random 3 to 6 minute stretches without scoring. The other team takes the lead and the 3 previous mentioned scenarios play out.

- TL;DR Griz hang tough or give up a lead then lose in the last few minutes.

Sound familiar? That's because this has played out the same way in every "play-up" game where they haven't been blown out of the building that they've played under Decuire in the last 4 years. Cal. Washington. Gonzaga. Penn State. Washington (again). It's happened in conference play too. Weber a couple times. EWU a couple times. EWU during the conference tourney. Probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

Look - Decuire coaches like crazy and his players keep fighting, no matter what. It's awesome being "in" these games. It is time to start winning them. Beating Pitt was a good step. As much as I'd like to see that happen, I'm not sure it will on a regular basis. ALL of Decuire's teams have struggled with consistently hitting open shots, making free throws and below average to poor final shot / end game management. Until these get better this will most likely continue. I'm afraid though, since this hasn't changed (so far) in the 4 years Decuire has been here, it may just be what it is...teams that are tough, selfless and play great D, but struggle down the stretch and lose games they "shouldn't" and aren't quite able to pull off the "upset."

I'd love to be proven wrong. Winning the conference tourney and getting to the Big Dance will be another step that Decuire's team needs to take - and take sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
          X