This years Griz team

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

Heavy Hitter

This years Griz team

Postby Heavy Hitter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Ok, I finally had to leave the other place I cannot stand UM75 and his rants, followed up by posters like AZGriz Badlands and All Weather who sidestep facts talent and coaching and say we are the team to beat every year. If you have an opinion opposite that you get attacked and then the mods threaten you on the board and in messages. So I am done and will try it over here.

Can somebody give me a real analysis on how this years team will pan out now that some of Stitts recruiting is going to show up on game day? Do we have the horses to compete or do we still need a couple more years?

CV Griz Fan

Re: This years Griz team

Postby CV Griz Fan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Heavy Hitter wrote:Ok, I finally had to leave the other place I cannot stand UM75 and his rants, followed up by posters like AZGriz Badlands and All Weather who sidestep facts talent and coaching and say we are the team to beat every year. If you have an opinion opposite that you get attacked and then the mods threaten you on the board and in messages. So I am done and will try it over here.

Can somebody give me a real analysis on how this years team will pan out now that some of Stitts recruiting is going to show up on game day? Do we have the horses to compete or do we still need a couple more years?

You'll find many of the same mix of opinions over here on MB as you would on egriz. That won't change. I hardly doubt any MOD will ever threaten you over here. Although, they may turn your avitar pink or something like that but otherwise no threats LOL. As far as the Griz go for 2017? There is a lot of unknowns to figure out....

*New QB
*Still Developing OL
*Unexpected Defensive Challenges in 2016
*Special Teams Inconsistencies
*Most of all, a strange late season collapse that includes rumors that the HC has "lost the team"......

But then again, this is FCS Fooball where things seem to turn quickly. The Griz do appear to have some nice young talent developing. I like Calhoun at RB if he can stay healthy. I think Bingham and JLM are solid. I am hopeful that the OL can rise up. Stitt put in a big recruiting effort for that area so we SHOULD see some dividends in 2017. The DL has size, Buss is nails and Sandry is most likely ready at safety. One would hope that unit shakes off the 2016 "funk" that seemed to come out of nowhere. But to be honest, that late season collapse worries me and so do the rumors that the players "tuned out" Stitt.

Robgriz

Postby Robgriz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:10 am

In truth, while I hope and pray for the best, I've seen nothing from this coaching staff to give me any hope that we will be better than last year. We also have question marks in a lot of areas and I'm not sure this staff knows the answers.
I remain optimistic but...?

GRIZNATION

Postby GRIZNATION » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Robgriz wrote:In truth, while I hope and pray for the best, I've seen nothing from this coaching staff to give me any hope that we will be better than last year. We also have question marks in a lot of areas and I'm not sure this staff knows the answers.
I remain optimistic but...?

Like Rob, I am praying for the best but not expecting much.

This team is at least one year away from getting an o line that will be able to gel and dominate the trenches. When we have the O line in place then I might start getting excited again until then we will be a middle to lower pack big Sky team. No matter the skill players we may or may not have, it all starts in the trenches.
Coach Hauck after the 2007 Griz /Cat Game - "I wish there were a 5th quarter in that game so we could kick their ass some more!"

Heavy Hitter

Postby Heavy Hitter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:22 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
Heavy Hitter wrote:Ok, I finally had to leave the other place I cannot stand UM75 and his rants, followed up by posters like AZGriz Badlands and All Weather who sidestep facts talent and coaching and say we are the team to beat every year. If you have an opinion opposite that you get attacked and then the mods threaten you on the board and in messages. So I am done and will try it over here.

You'll find many of the same mix of opinions over here on MB as you would on egriz. That won't change. I hardly doubt any MOD will ever threaten you over here. Although, they may turn your avitar pink or something like that but otherwise no threats LOL. As far as the Griz go for 2017? There is a lot of unknowns to figure out....

*New QB
*Still Developing OL
*Most of all, a strange late season collapse that includes rumors that the HC has "lost the team"......

But then again, this is FCS Fooball where things seem to turn quickly. The Griz do appear to have some nice young talent developing. I like Calhoun at RB if he can stay healthy. I think Bingham and JLM are solid. I am hopeful that the OL can rise up. Stitt put in a big recruiting effort for that area so we SHOULD see some dividends in 2017. The DL has size, Buss is nails and Sandry is most likely ready at safety. One would hope that unit shakes off the 2016 "funk" that seemed to come out of nowhere. But to be honest, that late season collapse worries me and so do the rumors that the players "tuned out" Stitt.

CV who do you think will end up winning the QB competition?

#1GRIZ

Postby #1GRIZ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Phillips would be my guess but it doesn't really matter who it is we have a squad full of very average quarterbacks. Elite programs have elite play at the quarterback position. Montana doesn't have that and its a result of poor recruiting for quite awhile. Lots of other Big Sky teams have found a premier quarterback, EWU, MSU, NAU, CP and SUU. Some of those teams have 2 or 3 on their roster but all have a premier quarterback. Montana has one average quarterback and several that are less than average and unless we get a miracle recruit this year that isn't going to change anytime soon. Montana has slid back to the pack, we have low talent, an average coaching staff and we don't out talent teams anymore. The road back to the top is currently under construction.

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Heavy Hitter wrote:
CV Griz Fan wrote:

*New QB
*Still Developing OL

CV who do you think will end up winning the QB competition?

The $1,000,000 question. Can Jensen really be ready? Has Phillip's chances dropped because of his slow pace picking up the offense? The JUCO guy looks like a gamer on tape but is that enough? My gut tells me that it's Philips or the transfer for 2017 with Jensen taking over in 2018 but I've been wrong before. But I also feel that Stitt may probably be leaning one or the other already. In other words, he has a guy that he favors slightly now.
From what I remember, BG broke out it spring ball so we could know fairly soon.....

grizpack

Postby grizpack » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:25 pm

#1GRIZ wrote:Phillips would be my guess but it doesn't really matter who it is we have a squad full of very average quarterbacks. Elite programs have elite play at the quarterback position. Montana doesn't have that and its a result of poor recruiting for quite awhile. Lots of other Big Sky teams have found a premier quarterback, EWU, MSU, NAU, CP and SUU. Some of those teams have 2 or 3 on their roster but all have a premier quarterback. Montana has one average quarterback and several that are less than average and unless we get a miracle recruit this year that isn't going to change anytime soon. Montana has slid back to the pack, we have low talent, an average coaching staff and we don't out talent teams anymore. The road back to the top is currently under construction.

MSU has a "premier" QB? He beat us, but I don't think that quite elevates him to premier.... EWU and NAU, I will give you.

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:48 pm

#1GRIZ wrote:Phillips would be my guess but it doesn't really matter who it is we have a squad full of very average quarterbacks. Elite programs have elite play at the quarterback position. Montana doesn't have that and its a result of poor recruiting for quite awhile. Lots of other Big Sky teams have found a premier quarterback, EWU, MSU, NAU, CP and SUU. Some of those teams have 2 or 3 on their roster but all have a premier quarterback. Montana has one average quarterback and several that are less than average and unless we get a miracle recruit this year that isn't going to change anytime soon. Montana has slid back to the pack, we have low talent, an average coaching staff and we don't out talent teams anymore. The road back to the top is currently under construction.

Maybe I have tired of narratives that don't fit reality, but outside of EWU what program has had consistently better quarterback play in the long term than the UM? Moreover at this level, what are the odds a program has a 1 and 1A option at QB. Montana has got over the past two years better than average play out of its replacement (Chalich and SImis weren't dog poop) but neither were clearly better than Gustafson.

If you throw out the 2010 or 2012 seasons, Montana has had an above average quarterback in the conference. Despite Gustafson's erratic and injury riddled career, he was probably a better QB than all but two or three programs. Murray wasn't one of them. I would take Gubrud, Cookus and despite his uneven 2016 season Alex Kuresa would have been the only 3. Murray is not a lock to remain the QB at MSU, or if he does he might become a version of Dano Graves at CPSU, because he's not good throwing the football.

The UM has really only run out one or two true freshman or redshirt freshman (Ah Yat?) QB in the past 25 years. I wouldn't expect unless Jensen is head and tails better in the spring for that to change. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. He drew rave reviews this year doing some scout team stuff. Hill and Phillips from an experience standpoint probably create an environment with the highest basement to eliminate the huge variances you might get with Jensen. Jensen got a pretty high ceiling from what I heard, but has a lot more to learn about game speed.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

CV Griz Fan

Postby CV Griz Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:

Maybe I have tired of narratives that don't fit reality, but outside of EWU what program has had consistently better quarterback play in the long term than the UM? Moreover at this level, what are the odds a program has a 1 and 1A option at QB. Montana has got over the past two years better than average play out of its replacement (Chalich and SImis weren't dog poop) but neither were clearly better than Gustafson.

If you throw out the 2010 or 2012 seasons, Montana has had an above average quarterback in the conference. Despite Gustafson's erratic and injury riddled career, he was probably a better QB than all but two or three programs. Murray wasn't one of them. I would take Gubrud, Cookus and despite his uneven 2016 season Alex Kuresa would have been the only 3. Murray is not a lock to remain the QB at MSU, or if he does he might become a version of Dano Graves at CPSU, because he's not good throwing the football.

The UM has really only run out one or two true freshman or redshirt freshman (Ah Yat?) QB in the past 25 years. I wouldn't expect unless Jensen is head and tails better in the spring for that to change. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. He drew rave reviews this year doing some scout team stuff. Hill and Phillips from an experience standpoint probably create an environment with the highest basement to eliminate the huge variances you might get with Jensen. Jensen got a pretty high ceiling from what I heard, but has a lot more to learn about game speed.

Where would rate BG compared to the likes of Adams, Sorensen or Arias?

ALPHAGRIZ1

Re: RE: Re: This years Griz team

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:

You nailed the scout team comment.

Oh and I could be wrong but the way I took #1s comment wasn't that we haven't had decent to average QB play just not a strength like EWU has had or MSU with McGhee, Prokop and Murrays....legs.

We haven't had a dominant QB in quite some time. I hate OU but I would like a brash SOB like Mayfield......a guy to might want to punch in the face if he wasnt on your team being that cocky.

The cool part is he backs it up....I would also accept Darnold from USC.....except he has a boring personality but other than that he may be the best QB they have ever had there.

I am not asking for much........just more than what we have had.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

ALPHAGRIZ1

Re: RE: Re: This years Griz team

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:

9th

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:

Going to comment on the general question of this thread next but I think 24 this is a great post. I wanted to add one thing to the Jensen talk as well. Before Christmas met and talked with a WR on the team, he had really great things to say about Jensen. The WR had a friend with him who either played against Jensen or watched Jensen at least when he was in high school, the friend is pretty convinced Jensen will win the starting job based on what he saw in high school. The WR didn't say either way. However an interesting question was asked - how much of this offense does Jensen run in practice - or is it just scout team duties of opposing teams. The WR told us that during practice Jensen (and the other younger QBs) just run scout team stuff and don't take reps running the Griz offense.

I think I've posted it before but Andrew Selle did tell us at a GSA meeting that Jensen is incredibly smart and dove right into the playbook and would have multiple questions every day for him. So Jensen's commitment to learning the offense would seem to be REALLY high. Add that in with him being recognized for his outstanding early academics and one would think despite maybe not running the offense so much in practice he's probably been studying the hell out of it.

So looking at the probable top 3 options at QB:

Phillips: One year in the system, played in-game (a bit) with it, and ran the offense with the team weekly.

Hill: No experience in the offense.

Jensen: One year in the system, hasn't run the offense in practice much if at all.

----

By no means is that the be-all / end-all in the discussion, but it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:

*New QB
*Still Developing OL

Good post CV and I think the concerns listed are very valid.

I think 2017 could set up for good things in the years ahead and this will be the first year we really see if Stitt's recruits in bulk are going to break through and start to shape this team.

I think 2017 could range from a 6 to 9 win regular season team. Locking in QB and solving some of the interpersonal stuff (motivation, avoiding late season collapse, etc) are the two big things that could either make or break the 2017 team.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 pm

CV Griz Fan wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:

I think BG and Arias probably rate as 'system' guys, but having seen Arias play a few times I was less than impressed with him. I think BG in some ways was a vastly superior system guy to Arias. Sorenson I think was probably the better of the three, just impressions wise, and like BG is a fringe NFL guy.

Listening to a couple of guys, Brady's stock didn't go up as they assumed he would be a late round flyer guy and a candidate for a rookie tryout. The one thought he'd be a Candidate for the CFL. Johnson was a more complete quarterback but lacked the NFL measurables that BG has. I think he (Brady) might get a sniff and I haven't heard whether he'll get a all-star game invite.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”