This years Griz team

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

Havgrizfan

Re: This years Griz team

Postby Havgrizfan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:38 pm

BG already is playing in an All-Star game.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... dd4a8.html

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 pm

Havgrizfan wrote:BG already is playing in an All-Star game.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... dd4a8.html

Must have missed it, good for him... thanks for pointing that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

Robgriz

Postby Robgriz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:38 pm

BWahlberg wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:
#1GRIZ wrote:Phillips would be my guess but it doesn't really matter who it is we have a squad full of very average quarterbacks. Elite programs have elite play at the quarterback position. Montana doesn't have that and its a result of poor recruiting for quite awhile. Lots of other Big Sky teams have found a premier quarterback, EWU, MSU, NAU, CP and SUU. Some of those teams have 2 or 3 on their roster but all have a premier quarterback. Montana has one average quarterback and several that are less than average and unless we get a miracle recruit this year that isn't going to change anytime soon. Montana has slid back to the pack, we have low talent, an average coaching staff and we don't out talent teams anymore. The road back to the top is currently under construction.

Maybe I have tired of narratives that don't fit reality, but outside of EWU what program has had consistently better quarterback play in the long term than the UM? Moreover at this level, what are the odds a program has a 1 and 1A option at QB. Montana has got over the past two years better than average play out of its replacement (Chalich and SImis weren't dog poop) but neither were clearly better than Gustafson.

If you throw out the 2010 or 2012 seasons, Montana has had an above average quarterback in the conference. Despite Gustafson's erratic and injury riddled career, he was probably a better QB than all but two or three programs. Murray wasn't one of them. I would take Gubrud, Cookus and despite his uneven 2016 season Alex Kuresa would have been the only 3. Murray is not a lock to remain the QB at MSU, or if he does he might become a version of Dano Graves at CPSU, because he's not good throwing the football.

The UM has really only run out one or two true freshman or redshirt freshman (Ah Yat?) QB in the past 25 years. I wouldn't expect unless Jensen is head and tails better in the spring for that to change. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. He drew rave reviews this year doing some scout team stuff. Hill and Phillips from an experience standpoint probably create an environment with the highest basement to eliminate the huge variances you might get with Jensen. Jensen got a pretty high ceiling from what I heard, but has a lot more to learn about game speed.

Going to comment on the general question of this thread next but I think 24 this is a great post. I wanted to add one thing to the Jensen talk as well. Before Christmas met and talked with a WR on the team, he had really great things to say about Jensen. The WR had a friend with him who either played against Jensen or watched Jensen at least when he was in high school, the friend is pretty convinced Jensen will win the starting job based on what he saw in high school. The WR didn't say either way. However an interesting question was asked - how much of this offense does Jensen run in practice - or is it just scout team duties of opposing teams. The WR told us that during practice Jensen (and the other younger QBs) just run scout team stuff and don't take reps running the Griz offense.

I think I've posted it before but Andrew Selle did tell us at a GSA meeting that Jensen is incredibly smart and dove right into the playbook and would have multiple questions every day for him. So Jensen's commitment to learning the offense would seem to be REALLY high. Add that in with him being recognized for his outstanding early academics and one would think despite maybe not running the offense so much in practice he's probably been studying the hell out of it.

So looking at the probable top 3 options at QB:

Phillips: One year in the system, played in-game (a bit) with it, and ran the offense with the team weekly.

Hill: No experience in the offense.

Jensen: One year in the system, hasn't run the offense in practice much if at all.

----

By no means is that the be-all / end-all in the discussion, but it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

As we've talked before Brint, I have two friends that have coached against Jensen. both had nothing but good things to say about him and both liked him coming here. And, given both coaches connection to the program, I'd say that's pretty good praise.
Hill has no experience in Stitts offense but I was given the impression that the offense he ran at JC was very similar. Anyone heard anything about this?

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm

Yep Rob, it's going to be really interesting to see how things go.

I know the reason Phillips was brought here (as well as Reynard at CB) was that then they met with the staff they went through the playbook and design of the offense (and defense for TJ) to see how well they understood it. I was told that Phillips pointed out there's a lot of similarities in Stitt's Montana offense vs what he played in at Kentucky - which is one reason why they were very excited to bring Phillips in.

As for Hill, obviously the coaches can't comment on him yet I don't think... or can they? Not sure if it's when they made their commitment official or when school starts. Regardless I've not heard on him but I'd guess one reason why they brought him in would be similar to why they brought in Phillips, similar system/design for quicker adaptation.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

HookedOnGriz

Postby HookedOnGriz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Robgriz wrote:
BWahlberg wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:
#1GRIZ wrote:Phillips would be my guess but it doesn't really matter who it is we have a squad full of very average quarterbacks. Elite programs have elite play at the quarterback position. Montana doesn't have that and its a result of poor recruiting for quite awhile. Lots of other Big Sky teams have found a premier quarterback, EWU, MSU, NAU, CP and SUU. Some of those teams have 2 or 3 on their roster but all have a premier quarterback. Montana has one average quarterback and several that are less than average and unless we get a miracle recruit this year that isn't going to change anytime soon. Montana has slid back to the pack, we have low talent, an average coaching staff and we don't out talent teams anymore. The road back to the top is currently under construction.

Maybe I have tired of narratives that don't fit reality, but outside of EWU what program has had consistently better quarterback play in the long term than the UM? Moreover at this level, what are the odds a program has a 1 and 1A option at QB. Montana has got over the past two years better than average play out of its replacement (Chalich and SImis weren't dog poop) but neither were clearly better than Gustafson.

If you throw out the 2010 or 2012 seasons, Montana has had an above average quarterback in the conference. Despite Gustafson's erratic and injury riddled career, he was probably a better QB than all but two or three programs. Murray wasn't one of them. I would take Gubrud, Cookus and despite his uneven 2016 season Alex Kuresa would have been the only 3. Murray is not a lock to remain the QB at MSU, or if he does he might become a version of Dano Graves at CPSU, because he's not good throwing the football.

The UM has really only run out one or two true freshman or redshirt freshman (Ah Yat?) QB in the past 25 years. I wouldn't expect unless Jensen is head and tails better in the spring for that to change. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for that to happen. He drew rave reviews this year doing some scout team stuff. Hill and Phillips from an experience standpoint probably create an environment with the highest basement to eliminate the huge variances you might get with Jensen. Jensen got a pretty high ceiling from what I heard, but has a lot more to learn about game speed.

Going to comment on the general question of this thread next but I think 24 this is a great post. I wanted to add one thing to the Jensen talk as well. Before Christmas met and talked with a WR on the team, he had really great things to say about Jensen. The WR had a friend with him who either played against Jensen or watched Jensen at least when he was in high school, the friend is pretty convinced Jensen will win the starting job based on what he saw in high school. The WR didn't say either way. However an interesting question was asked - how much of this offense does Jensen run in practice - or is it just scout team duties of opposing teams. The WR told us that during practice Jensen (and the other younger QBs) just run scout team stuff and don't take reps running the Griz offense.

I think I've posted it before but Andrew Selle did tell us at a GSA meeting that Jensen is incredibly smart and dove right into the playbook and would have multiple questions every day for him. So Jensen's commitment to learning the offense would seem to be REALLY high. Add that in with him being recognized for his outstanding early academics and one would think despite maybe not running the offense so much in practice he's probably been studying the hell out of it.

So looking at the probable top 3 options at QB:

Phillips: One year in the system, played in-game (a bit) with it, and ran the offense with the team weekly.

Hill: No experience in the offense.

Jensen: One year in the system, hasn't run the offense in practice much if at all.

----

By no means is that the be-all / end-all in the discussion, but it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

As we've talked before Brint, I have two friends that have coached against Jensen. both had nothing but good things to say about him and both liked him coming here. And, given both coaches connection to the program, I'd say that's pretty good praise.
Hill has no experience in Stitts offense but I was given the impression that the offense he ran at JC was very similar. Anyone heard anything about this?

You are correct. Couple things that stood out from something I read on him after he committed to Griz (I'll look for it) Hill basically said "this is what I've been running for years now and am very comfortable with it". He went on to say, almost cocky like, that as the coaches quizzed him on check downs and defensive formations he aced it all. He then also confidently said I'm going there to win the starting job and there's no points for second place. I must admit I already like that mentality.

HookedOnGriz

Postby HookedOnGriz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:18 pm

RobGriz....here's Verbiage from the Skyline Sports article on him. I'll keep looking for that other one I referenced. Some good stuff here....

With that relationship established, Hill asked Homan if the Grizzlies might be in the market for a quarterback this recruiting season. Homan passed Hill’s name along to Montana running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Justin Green who was first impressed with the quarterback’s highlight tape. It wasn’t long before Montana’s head coach Bob Stitt and quarterbacks coach Andrew Selle were in touch with Hill through social media.

The tape they were able to watch was limited to just a few games. As a freshman, Hill played sparingly in the Air Raid system favored by former Blinn coach Keith Thomas. Those reps appeared to be in jeopardy as interim coach Ryan Mahon went looking for a quarterback and brought in UCLA transfer Aaron Sharp to run his spread, run-pass option system.

“I recruited Aaron to try and beat Caleb out and I didn’t do a very good job of it,” Mahon said. “Caleb would just not beat out.”

Mahon said Hill adapted quickly to the offensive overhaul, learning the new verbiage and showing an understanding of the the responsibilities that were put upon his shoulders. Similar to the expectations of Montana’s quarterbacks, Blinn’s were expected to quickly get the signal from the sideline, make the correct protection calls and get the offense into the right play for what the defense was showing.

“It’s an important thing to manage the game and he does an exceptional job of that,” Mahon said of the athletic Hill, who also ran 19 times for 50 yards and two touchdowns in addition to his 872 passing yards and five touchdowns. “When you’re out there executing and doing all the little things right that’s what you want in that quarterback position and that’s what he brought to us.”

Hill won the starting job before he went down for the season with a broken collarbone in Blinn’s sixth game. Mahon feels that Hill’s limited time behind center at Blinn cost the left-handed quarterback looks from some of the bigger schools that frequent the college’s campus. Cam Newton is among the school’s prestigious alums. Hill said he had discussions with Mercer, was starting to get looked at by Florida A&M and was contacted by a few Division II schools.

“He’s a very athletic kid. Very versatile. Great head on his shoulders. He’s a kid that is going to put you in the right position,” Mahon said. “We’re losing a good one when we lose Caleb Hill.”

Hill never pursued those avenues, but instead focused on Montana. And when the opportunity came to visit, he got on a plane with his mother and father and headed north to watch the Griz play Idaho State.

“I think Montana is where God had me planned to go,” Hill said.

HookedOnGriz

Postby HookedOnGriz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:22 pm

And here's some more that shows that confidence I referenced.......

As a college freshman in 2015, Hill played in seven games and threw for 759 yards with eight touchdowns and four interceptions. He appeared in six games this fall before a season-ending collarbone injury with five TD passes, 872 yards and no picks.

The injury to his right non-throwing shoulder, one minor enough not to require surgery, caused him to miss the final three games of the regular season. Hill said the break, suffered Oct. 1, is healing as expected and he figures to be available for spring drills at Montana.

Both Brenham and Blinn run similar spread offenses to the Griz, Hill said, and his discussions with QBs coach Andrew Selle and head coach Bob Stitt have given him further confidence that Montana is the right fit.

"Same exact spread look where the quarterback is in total control. I'm very comfortable in this offense and it's nothing new to me," Hill confirmed.

Hill can also run if asked, scoring a pair of pair of touchdowns on the ground this season. Often the plays are designed runs, he added.

"I can move in the pocket and we do a lot of read options with me and with me running it," he said. "I think I can throw it just as good as the quarterbacks there and I can move around and put some moves on that maybe Montana hasn't seen in a little bit."

brewskis

Postby brewskis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 am

HookedOnGriz wrote:And here's some more that shows that confidence I referenced.......

As a college freshman in 2015, Hill played in seven games and threw for 759 yards with eight touchdowns and four interceptions. He appeared in six games this fall before a season-ending collarbone injury with five TD passes, 872 yards and no picks.

The injury to his right non-throwing shoulder, one minor enough not to require surgery, caused him to miss the final three games of the regular season. Hill said the break, suffered Oct. 1, is healing as expected and he figures to be available for spring drills at Montana.

Both Brenham and Blinn run similar spread offenses to the Griz, Hill said, and his discussions with QBs coach Andrew Selle and head coach Bob Stitt have given him further confidence that Montana is the right fit.

"Same exact spread look where the quarterback is in total control. I'm very comfortable in this offense and it's nothing new to me," Hill confirmed.

Hill can also run if asked, scoring a pair of pair of touchdowns on the ground this season. Often the plays are designed runs, he added.

"I can move in the pocket and we do a lot of read options with me and with me running it," he said. "I think I can throw it just as good as the quarterbacks there and I can move around and put some moves on that maybe Montana hasn't seen in a little bit."

I might be a little confident here, but I think Hill is our guy for the next two years.

He is built like a LB, throws the ball well, has a boat-load of confidence, smart (from the sounds of it), and athletic. I'm excited to see how he competes this spring, but I think his edge is going to take him a long ways with our receivers and this offense.

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:18 pm

brewskis wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:And here's some more that shows that confidence I referenced.......

I might be a little confident here, but I think Hill is our guy for the next two years.

He is built like a LB, throws the ball well, has a boat-load of confidence, smart (from the sounds of it), and athletic. I'm excited to see how he competes this spring, but I think his edge is going to take him a long ways with our receivers and this offense.

What'll be interesting to see is if he can come in as a JuCo and adapt right away. A lot of times when we get JuCo kids it takes them a full season to get up to speed and play at peak levels.
Have no fear, sugar is here!

putter

Postby putter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:01 pm

I would like to talk with Stitt and get clarification on how often BG checked out. Stitt has been getting ripped for the struggles on offense but was it him or BG changing the call? For all we know Stitt could have been on the sideline pulling his "hair" out because what was called was not what happened. Will Still still give the QB as much freedom or script more plays? I have heard that people say BG got nervous because he was beat up and did not trust the OL which caused the plethora of WR screens and JLM record setting game.

2017 could be exciting as, some have claimed, Montana's best athletes were in the stands last year. Lets hope Stitt's recruiting starts to take shape

Robgriz

Postby Robgriz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:RobGriz....here's Verbiage from the Skyline Sports article on him. I'll keep looking for that other one I referenced. Some good stuff here....

With that relationship established, Hill asked Homan if the Grizzlies might be in the market for a quarterback this recruiting season. Homan passed Hill’s name along to Montana running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Justin Green who was first impressed with the quarterback’s highlight tape. It wasn’t long before Montana’s head coach Bob Stitt and quarterbacks coach Andrew Selle were in touch with Hill through social media.

The tape they were able to watch was limited to just a few games. As a freshman, Hill played sparingly in the Air Raid system favored by former Blinn coach Keith Thomas. Those reps appeared to be in jeopardy as interim coach Ryan Mahon went looking for a quarterback and brought in UCLA transfer Aaron Sharp to run his spread, run-pass option system.

“I recruited Aaron to try and beat Caleb out and I didn’t do a very good job of it,” Mahon said. “Caleb would just not beat out.”

Mahon said Hill adapted quickly to the offensive overhaul, learning the new verbiage and showing an understanding of the the responsibilities that were put upon his shoulders. Similar to the expectations of Montana’s quarterbacks, Blinn’s were expected to quickly get the signal from the sideline, make the correct protection calls and get the offense into the right play for what the defense was showing.

“It’s an important thing to manage the game and he does an exceptional job of that,” Mahon said of the athletic Hill, who also ran 19 times for 50 yards and two touchdowns in addition to his 872 passing yards and five touchdowns. “When you’re out there executing and doing all the little things right that’s what you want in that quarterback position and that’s what he brought to us.”

Hill won the starting job before he went down for the season with a broken collarbone in Blinn’s sixth game. Mahon feels that Hill’s limited time behind center at Blinn cost the left-handed quarterback looks from some of the bigger schools that frequent the college’s campus. Cam Newton is among the school’s prestigious alums. Hill said he had discussions with Mercer, was starting to get looked at by Florida A&M and was contacted by a few Division II schools.

“He’s a very athletic kid. Very versatile. Great head on his shoulders. He’s a kid that is going to put you in the right position,” Mahon said. “We’re losing a good one when we lose Caleb Hill.”

Hill never pursued those avenues, but instead focused on Montana. And when the opportunity came to visit, he got on a plane with his mother and father and headed north to watch the Griz play Idaho State.

“I think Montana is where God had me planned to go,” Hill said.

Thanks!

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah yeah yeah, confidence is great, and impresses the fan base. But anyone looking at his mechanics, completion percentages, and TD/INT rate will not be impressed. He started 13 games in his two JC seasons, and threw for a whopping 1630 yards, which translates to 125 passing yards per game! If you dudes think that a JC quarterback ranked 13th best in the nation, with no other offers except from Division II teams is gonna lead us to the promised land, I've got some Afghanistan beach property to offer you.

Hill states "I can move in the pocket and we do a lot of read options with me and with me running it," he said. "I think I can throw it just as good as the quarterbacks there and I can move around and put some moves on that maybe Montana hasn't seen in a little bit."

TRANSLATION: I am more of a running QB.
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Grizfan-24

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Growler,

What about his mechanics concern you? Would be interested to read your insight on the issue.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

brewskis

Postby brewskis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Grizfan-24 wrote:Growler,

What about his mechanics concern you? Would be interested to read your insight on the issue.

Haha that'd be great. 8 paragraphs of watered-down, high level technical terms that allow him to wriggle out of being proven to not have any level of expertise on the topic.

growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants

Postby growler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm

brewskis wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:Growler,

Haha that'd be great. 8 paragraphs of watered-down, high level technical terms that allow him to wriggle out of being proven to not have any level of expertise on the topic.

Said by a non-athletic computer nerd
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”