Don't Let Jerome Steal This Kid

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

User avatar
Grizfan-24
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 am
Location: Dumpster Fire.
Contact:

Don't Let Jerome Steal This Kid

Postby Grizfan-24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm

FWIW,

Those ranking references from Peyton came from recruiting sources.

As for the the CB issue, your point is valid, but I don't think it comes from recruiting 2 or 3 star guys. Finding good to great Corners and Interior linemen are hard to find at the FCS level. I think from a defensive coaches persepective it is hard to recruit defensive backs because what you see at the high school level, especially with above average athletes, is that measurables are not a good measuring stick for quality corner play.

Matters of what you want your corners to have coming out of high school. Most high school corners have speed, but little in the area of ball instincts, and I think that is why it is so hard to project them at the college level. Like quarterbacks, it is easy to recruit measuring tape but you have to find guys who can play in your system. I think technique for DB's is highly interpretive, depends on what your philosophy is.

Semore had a hard time finding that, he over exposed his corners and they weren't man coverage guys at least they didn't have the raw recovery speed to play a ton of press man coverage. We haven't had many lock down corners in recent memory but again I dont think it has anything to do with star rating.

Just listening to college coaches talking about the recruiting process, there are a number that believe in over offering on corners, in that you bring in as many as your budget allows because the failure rate is so high at that position. Markell Sanders and McKinley have both shown at times, emphasis on at times, skill to be better than average defenders. Yet this year, given the construction of the scheme it was going to look much much worse than they actually probably played.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
--Ron Burgandy

http://monidasports.blogspot.com

User avatar
SeaGriz
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 am

Re: RE: Re: Don't Let Jerome Steal This Kid

Postby SeaGriz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:00 pm

growler wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:I got the information from Peyton's list over the past three years. He has done a good job at posting rankings over the years, and at the time of recruiting which is more important I guess to this argument.


Oh, so I prove by listing links that several of the players you listed a 3-star recruits are actually zero-star recruits, and you say that Peyton's ratings are the accurate ones. Nice.

All you are doing is blathering about the same tired argument made that "not all 3-star rated kids pan out", or "just look at Kroy Bierman and Mark Mariani, they had zero stars". I get it. But nobody with a clue would try to argue that any FCS team signing more 2-star and 3-star kids than other FCS teams will undoubtedly have better players. If stars mean nothing, then why does Peyton, you, and every other Griz fan, get a woody every time we get a commitment from a 3-star player? You can't it both ways. Bottom line is...... the more players signed with stars attached to their names give a team a better recruiting class. Period!

And, I notice that you did not bother to address the absence of 2-staror higher CBs in the past three classes, even though that position is one of weakness every season.

I know a guy. He used to work for Scout and the way he tells it is that the 2 and 3 star kids don't have much research performed on them.

I'm sure something is better than nothing, but the recruiting services don't give us much value.

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 5044
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: RE: Re: Don't Let Jerome Steal This Kid

Postby growler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 am

SeaGriz wrote:
growler wrote:
Grizfan-24 wrote:I got the information from Peyton's list over the past three years. He has done a good job at posting rankings over the years, and at the time of recruiting which is more important I guess to this argument.


Oh, so I prove by listing links that several of the players you listed a 3-star recruits are actually zero-star recruits, and you say that Peyton's ratings are the accurate ones. Nice.

All you are doing is blathering about the same tired argument made that "not all 3-star rated kids pan out", or "just look at Kroy Bierman and Mark Mariani, they had zero stars". I get it. But nobody with a clue would try to argue that any FCS team signing more 2-star and 3-star kids than other FCS teams will undoubtedly have better players. If stars mean nothing, then why does Peyton, you, and every other Griz fan, get a woody every time we get a commitment from a 3-star player? You can't it both ways. Bottom line is...... the more players signed with stars attached to their names give a team a better recruiting class. Period!

And, I notice that you did not bother to address the absence of 2-staror higher CBs in the past three classes, even though that position is one of weakness every season.

I know a guy. He used to work for Scout and the way he tells it is that the 2 and 3 star kids don't have much research performed on them.

I'm sure something is better than nothing, but the recruiting services don't give us much value.


Yeah, because he worked for Scout. Enough said!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998

User avatar
growler
Sissy La La Pee Pee Pants
Posts: 5044
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Don't Let Jerome Steal This Kid

Postby growler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:49 am

Grizfan-24 wrote:FWIW,

Those ranking references from Peyton came from recruiting sources.

As for the the CB issue, your point is valid, but I don't think it comes from recruiting 2 or 3 star guys. Finding good to great Corners and Interior linemen are hard to find at the FCS level. I think from a defensive coaches persepective it is hard to recruit defensive backs because what you see at the high school level, especially with above average athletes, is that measurables are not a good measuring stick for quality corner play.

Matters of what you want your corners to have coming out of high school. Most high school corners have speed, but little in the area of ball instincts, and I think that is why it is so hard to project them at the college level. Like quarterbacks, it is easy to recruit measuring tape but you have to find guys who can play in your system. I think technique for DB's is highly interpretive, depends on what your philosophy is.

Semore had a hard time finding that, he over exposed his corners and they weren't man coverage guys at least they didn't have the raw recovery speed to play a ton of press man coverage. We haven't had many lock down corners in recent memory but again I dont think it has anything to do with star rating.

Just listening to college coaches talking about the recruiting process, there are a number that believe in over offering on corners, in that you bring in as many as your budget allows because the failure rate is so high at that position. Markell Sanders and McKinley have both shown at times, emphasis on at times, skill to be better than average defenders. Yet this year, given the construction of the scheme it was going to look much much worse than they actually probably played.


Right, you "over-recruit" recruit defensive layers, like CBs. But, Stitt can't do that since he uses up all of his schollies on WRs and QBs! Enough said!
Schooling Pedestrian Fans Since 1998


Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests