Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

Smash Mouth Griz Football Talk.....MB Style

Moderator: MINI14GB

ALPHAGRIZ1

Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm

My top 5:

Chris Peterson - Nobody in the country is a better coach. He takes less talent and gets more out of them than anyone in the business. He builds programs and cultures from the bottom up and keeps them at the top.

Dabo Swinney - Many of the qualities that Peterson has are also in Swinney. He took a football program that hasnt won a NC in 35 years and built it into a national power and won a NC. He does more with less like Peterson.

Gary Patterson - Before Patterson TCU wasnt even on the radar in college football, now he has built a program in Texas that is probably one of the top 3 in the state year in and out. He doesnt get all the talent that the Longhorns and A&M do but still works them over.

David Shaw - Smart and innovative, he took Harbaughs blueprint and tweeked a few things but kept the formula working at a place that isnt easy to recruit, due to high academic standards. Churning out NFL talent year after year is the mark of a guy that knows people and product.

Jim Harbaugh - Cant stand the guy but there is no doubt he has a formula for winning. He does it everywhere and builds things that have been left to scrap. San Diego, Stanford, 49ers and now rebuilding Michigan to a power house is very impressive after what Hoke left him with.
Never look down on somebody, unless you're helping them up.

brewskis

Re: Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

Postby brewskis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Trying to go with a bit of a non-traditional or non powerhouse group here. With one exception.

1: Dabo
2: Matt Rhule - I think he's gonna be a name we hear a lot in the future on a big stage.
3: Craig Bohl - the guy is in the business of building monsters. It isn't sexy, but it's effective and impressive.
4: Mike Gundy - consistently churning out 10+ win seasons operating in the shadow of Oklahoma, Texas, and A&M. Plus he is a man.
5: Chris Peterson - ill mirror Alph here. 3 years ago the only football team that Seattle gave a shit about was the Seahawks. Now Wazzu has tasted the CFP, and he's just getting started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Nick Saban - don't like him one little bit but hard to argue with what he's done.
Chris Peterson - Won with Boise, has UW headed in a great direction
Dabo Swinney - annoys the hell out of me with his post game speeches but proving he's one of the best
Jim McElwain - Missoula homer pick but I think he's a major up and comer
Jim Harbaugh - Ugh, considered between him Shaw, and Patterson... Harbaugh I guess
Have no fear, sugar is here!

growler
MB Starter

Postby growler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Urban Meyer is the best college coach in the nation, hands down.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

grizcountry420

Postby grizcountry420 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Mark Richt - Probably the most underrated coach in college football. He consistently wins 9 games a season and it looks like he is turning Miami around.

Bob Stoops - Has won 10 Big 12 titles in past 19 years. He seems to always field a competitive team. My only knock on him is his win at all cost attitude.

Mark Dantonio - Has won 11 plus games 5 out of 6 seasons. Has won a couple Big 10 titles the past few years. Players seem to like him. He always has his team ready to play

Bobby Petrino - They guy wins where ever he goes. My only knock on him is his off the field decision making but all in all, he's a good coach.

Urban Meyer - I never was a fan of this guy until i read his book: Above the line. This man eats, sleeps, and breathes football.
"I am a football analyst who can predict future success, or lack of it, based upon watching the game unfold."
-Growler

BWahlberg

Postby BWahlberg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

grizcountry420 wrote:Mark Richt - Probably the most underrated coach in college football. He consistently wins 9 games a season and it looks like he is turning Miami around.

Bob Stoops - Has won 10 Big 12 titles in past 19 years. He seems to always field a competitive team. My only knock on him is his win at all cost attitude.

Mark Dantonio - Has won 11 plus games 5 out of 6 seasons. Has won a couple Big 10 titles the past few years. Players seem to like him. He always has his team ready to play

Bobby Petrino - They guy wins where ever he goes. My only knock on him is his off the field decision making but all in all, he's a good coach.

Urban Meyer - I never was a fan of this guy until i read his book: Above the line. This man eats, sleeps, and breathes football.

Great points on Richt and Dantonio
Have no fear, sugar is here!

growler
MB Starter

Postby growler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:00 pm

You have got to be kidding about Richt being a top 5 coach! He is the quintessential poster-child for being unable to win the big game, which is exactly why he was fired at Georgia. He is a great recruiter, and had top 5 national recruiting classes most years. Yet, he never won the SEC, and could not beat their arch-rival Florida. He even had about a 0.500 record against Georgia Tech!

Nice guy. Class act. Great recruiter. Weak head coach. He is the mirror image of Mack Brown, another huge under-achiever.
Wolfman is my name....Owning pedestrian fans is my game

grizcountry420

Postby grizcountry420 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 pm

growler wrote:You have got to be kidding about Richt being a top 5 coach! He is the quintessential poster-child for being unable to win the big game, which is exactly why he was fired at Georgia. He is a great recruiter, and had top 5 national recruiting classes most years. Yet, he never won the SEC, and could not beat their arch-rival Florida. He even had about a 0.500 record against Georgia Tech!

Nice guy. Class act. Great recruiter. Weak head coach. He is the mirror image of Mack Brown, another huge under-achiever.

This thread is about who is YOUR top 5 head coach list. You can say he's an under achiever but I think he's going to turn Miami back around.
"I am a football analyst who can predict future success, or lack of it, based upon watching the game unfold."
-Growler

Raider

Postby Raider » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:50 pm

growler's, in no particular order…………..

Not Stitt
Not Mick
Not Pflu
Not Bobby
Not Joe

and, certainly not the next guy

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Raider wrote:growler's, in no particular order…………..

Not Stitt
Not Mick
Not Pflu
Not Bobby
Not Joe

and, certainly not the next guy

Not the next guy was the worst!

Havgrizfan

Postby Havgrizfan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Peterson is a great coach. I've always been a Husky fan. But I hated Boise State, then and still hate them now. I hated them because I grew up with them as a Griz' rival, and I will never like them. I also hated them because the whole country jumped on their wagon when they beat Oklahoma. Just like the country still thinks fricking Gonzaga is a "cinderella" every year. Makes me want to puke.

But, I agree with AG1 on Peterson and Dabo. They are legit. Art Briles was headed in that direction too. He screwed up his career, but he can coach football.

grizpack

Postby grizpack » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Still pretty early, but the job McIntyre is doing at Colorado is pretty impressive, turning that shit show around.

I hate Colorado too.

glendivegriz

Postby glendivegriz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm

I don't know that I would say he was a top five guy but Bill Snyder at K-State needs some mention if you are going to put Gundy on a list. K-State is geographically one of the least attractive schools. Not much for tradition. Facilities are nothing special yet the guy always puts up a competitive team with usually not great talent compared to other Big 12 schools.

ALPHAGRIZ1

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm

grizpack wrote:Still pretty early, but the job McIntyre is doing at Colorado is pretty impressive, turning that shit show around.

I hate Colorado too.

I agree with you on McIntyre but I need to see him do it year in and year out before he gets on my list.

Briles would have been my number 2 coach but currently he doesnt have a job so I didnt include him on my list. The dude flat out gets it and meets all my criteria that tells you he is a great coach, he didnt just inherit a Florida, OSU or Alabama, he got Baylor and built them into a national power and one of the 2 best programs in Texas. (TCU)

brewskis

Postby brewskis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm

It's too bad Briles lacks a moral compass. Baylor was lethal with there for a couple years.

I think Rhule will be even better. His defense at Temple was top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Montana Grizzlies Football”